My upcoming 300km ride; any tips?

GoldenMotor.com

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I'll be carrying a Philips screw, wrench, spanner, basic stuff so I can check the bolts and such along the way to make sure they're good, what else can you guys advise me on?

For example, how pumped should the tires be? I know heat expands air, but after a long time of riding, if the tires are too pumped, could that cause any possible problems?

My tires are currently at 50psi (wheels rated 45-60psi).

Oh, and it's Summer here.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I have a tire repair kit so I hope that works...

Forgot about air pumps; thanks for that.
I will definitely have my camel pack on and some spare water.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
repair kits are a temporary solution and require more work/time then simply changing the thing out, so why do the same job twice?

idk about australia but in USA a 20" tube is $4 or so with 26" being about $6. patch kits are $4 so it's really not a fantastic deal imo. and np about the pump :)

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Well... If I find myself near a shop I'll get some, but they are easily twice as much as what you pay, almost 3 times maybe, from memory.
Patch kits are much cheaper, depending on where you guy it.

My rear wheel is actually using a patch on it at the moment...

Well... I just have to plan my route now so that I can have sufficient fuel stations along it. LOL

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I tend to take more stuff with me than I need because I have a full set of panniers and a topcase but you might consider taking along a small first aid kit.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Well... I only have the rear basket on a pannier rack that supports up to 10kg.
I will have the basic tools and all for sure, and a bag of clothes, so keeping it light and simple, but with as much as I can fit (therefore a lot of tools in their smaller version to fit)

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Bring a cell phone in case you need someone to pick you up and line up a friend with a truck or a bike rack and right now maybe wear a life jacket with all your flooding. Also some tire sealer-inflater.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Didnt get this one
Maybe you're just too young. :p

Anyways, calculated my route, it was 251km, but I did miss my turn at one point and couldn't find it so I probably ended riding a total of 260km with all the wrong turns I made.
I ended riding about 210km of my journey as it was night so my friend came to pick me up. LOL

Well, the studs on my front mounts snaped so I need to get the broken bits out and get new ones.

Also, the clamp for the muffler to the bike also snapped broke... So need a new one of those too.