Oil for the Road..........

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Usually I roll into Walmart and buy.........................................

A 1 gallon jug of 2 stroke oil that Walmart sells under its name Supertech for around $11.00. It is TCW3 and It works good for the china engines. I also buy a 16oz bottle of oil they sell that is the same stuff that has the measuring gauge on the side of the bottle for around $2.00.

I carry the 16oz bottle with me on my motorized bike, and can get 4 One gallon gas fills out of it, before I have to use the 1 Gallon jug of Oil and refill the 16oz. oil bottle. It works great but....................................

The 16oz. bottles leak at the top. I have put a water faucet o-ring on the top/threads of the 16oz. bottle but it still leaks.

Anyone else have any better Ideas/Alternatives that have worked for them? I do not want to put a 16oz. oil bottle in my backpack that leaks. It would make a monkey mess i rather avoid. Thanks,

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The 24oz./32oz. fuel cell that comes with the weedeater/waterpump/auger engines is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too small to roll around with.

Today I added a 1 gallon fuel cell to my friction kit. Figured I would post picts here if anyone got tired of running out of fuel with the stock tanks, and didn't feel like ponying up and waiting for shipment of the 96ozer. that some vendors sell.

I can get one of the pint(16oz) 2 stroke oil bottles that walmart sells for $2.00 with the gauge on the side of it and get (4) one gallon fills out of it.

Keeps me rolling longer and spending less time at the filling stations.

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use Opti-2 at 100:1 mix, so all i need is an ounce per gallon (roughly.)

i have a small 1oz. shampoo bottle with a tight lid from a hotel that'll give me two fill ups since my tank holds a half gallon (roughly.)

i've never used it, though. the longest ride i've been on (since switching to Opti-2) was about 80 miles, and i made it home on fumes.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Went it to Wally world about a month ago and they were sold out of the TCW3 oil they sell for $11.52 for a 1 gallon, so I bought Penzoil senthetic blend at Kmart for $16.99 for a 1 gallon. What a difference. My engine runs alot quieter and smoother. I do not use as much oil as well. I currently have over 3,700 miles on my friction drive.

What gets me...........................

Wally world was sold out of the TCW3 oil for $11.52 for a 1 gallon, then we had the price of gas go up because the price of oil, now Wally worlds price on the same TCW3 oil is $11.22. It went down when the price of oil went up. Some things I just do not understand.....................

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Be careful with TC-W3 oil, which is designed for water-cooled engines (run cooler)
The higher temps of your air-cooled engine might cause problems with that type of oil.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Got back from the mower shop from picking up my GX 35 clutch the other day, and I saw the Opti-2 oil. I picked up a packet and I asked the clerk about it. He said it was good when It was first introduced, however with the synthetic blends that we have to day, there really is not that big of a difference.

My conclusion: Opti-2 = Hype.

Walmart is now selling a 1 gallon synthetic blend oil for $14.00 made by Penzoil. I have been running the Supertech TCW3 in all of my motorbicycle engines for the past 3 years, with no engine problems. The only reason why I bought the Penzoil synthetic blend from Kmart is because Walmart was out of stock on the Supertech TCW3.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Got back from the mower shop from picking up my GX 35 clutch the other day, and I saw the Opti-2 oil. I picked up a packet and I asked the clerk about it. He said it was good when It was first introduced, however with the synthetic blends that we have to day, there really is not that big of a difference.

My conclusion: Opti-2 = Hype.
So, what the clerk is saying is that there are many synthetic blends of oil that can be run at 100:1?

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Bottomline: There is no reason to go buy a bunch of crap you do not need.

"The things you own, end up owning you". Tyler Durden

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I found the hard way to stick with OEM recommendations. I have a high performance CY R460, the recommendation was only full synthetic and to that end I always used Red Line Full Synthetic Racing Oil at $9 a pint. Got cheap and bought a good quality air cooled mineral oil, the next week I also bought a new top end for my motor due to wiping out the cylinder plating.

Back to Red Line and a year later compression still requires 93 octane.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
interesting way to make a conclusion. listen to one store clerk at a lawnmower shop. that's pretty scientific. nevermind the 50-something page thread here full of satisfied users, they couldn't possibly know better than a minimum wage weedwhacker re-stringer...

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
interesting way to make a conclusion. listen to one store clerk at a lawnmower shop. that's pretty scientific. nevermind the 50-something page thread here full of satisfied users, they couldn't possibly know better than a minimum wage weedwhacker re-stringer...
Not to start an argument but i would rather have Pennzoil fully synthetic over Opti-2, Especially at 100:1.... I have doubts over any oil working well with 100:1

The quality of motorcycle oil is far better than the stuff they sell at a lawnmower shop, opti-2 is in my opinion a marketing gimmick at being better for the envirement but when talking about lubrication i havent tried it so i wont talk smack about it. Weedwhackers run at 50:1 anyway so thats why Opti-2 is sold at a lawnmower shop

Last edited:

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
I LOVE the Penzoil Full Synthetic oil I got for my boat. It has been a very good oil and everytime I take a peek in the cylinders it looks good and clean. It has been my favorite over ANY other oil I tried simply because I used a little less of it and it did NOT SMELL. Was well worth the extra price. I used to find it at WalMart, but now I can't find it anywhere. It only came in a gallon and did not smell at all like 2 stroke oil. I may have to order it online from somewhere. I did score 4 bottles of Mobil 1 2T Full Synthetic today. Marked down to $2 quart. It is RED instead of blue color. Looks cool in the filter anyway, BUT it still stinks when it is burned. I don't like it. I would have been pissed at the $9 original price. Don't know how well it will burn in these hot little china motors but I will give it a try when I find it.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You mean Mobil MX2T? I have heard good things about that oil, will have to get some and give it a whirl.

As an aside;
I have a 1965 TORO Snow-Pup snowthrower, and the sticker on it says to use SAE-30 at 16:1.

When advances in oil technology allowed a ratio of 32:1, many of the oldtimers said that they wouldn't trust an oil at that high of a ratio.

When advances in oil technology allowed a ratio of 40:1, many of the oldtimers said that they wouldn't trust an oil at that high of a ratio.

When advances in oil technology allowed a ratio of 50:1, many of the oldtimers said that they wouldn't trust an oil at that high of a ratio.

When advances in oil technology allowed a ratio of 100:1, many of the oldtimers said that they wouldn't trust an oil at that high of a ratio.

Who knows what the future may hold in terms on oil ratios. 125:1? 150:1?

(PS: I use 40:1 in the TORO, and use it every year still.)

Last edited: