Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter

GoldenMotor.com

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Does anyone here use the MM sprocket adapter? Is it better than the rag joint? How did you measure hub diameter? Every time I try to use calipers to get the hub diameter I get a different reading.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The bike is a Triax from Target. I had to get a different rear wheel becase the hub on the Triax tapered.

I've talked to Jim a few times. He just said to use calipers, which I've done, that's what I keep getting different readings with.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
the wheel wont work with the tapered hub .not worth his time to set up his stuff. to accommodate the hub adapter. only way i know is to get i new hub. or wheel.there is alot of the thee mile island hubs coming out of target now.

drob

May 1, 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Buddy, the best thing to do would be to take the rear wheel to your local hardware store or bike shop and have them measure the hub with a micrometer. Some of them even have the newer electronic models that will show the diameter in millimeters and inches. You won't be charged either!

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I was thinking I needed to do something like that. Hardware stores have micrometers?

I was thinking a machine shop. I don't know if they would charge me or not.

Last edited:

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
That's what I've been using. I keep getting a different reading every time though. It doesn't help that the battery is about dead I think and the display is dim and flashing constantly. They aren't mine, mine aren't accurate enough.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Sure- replace the battery, then try it. Keep in mind that if you are measuring to thousandths of an inch, the chances of getting the exact same measurement in 2 places on the hub (even very close places) is about nothing. What you want is to find the range it is in- there will be some variance- and the Manic Mechanic knows how to account for that.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I went to two different machine shops today and ended up with readings that vary by more than .002" between the two. I haven't talked to Manic Mechanic yet. Hopefully between the two there's enough info to make the adapter.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I went to two different machine shops today and ended up with readings that vary by more than .002" between the two. I haven't talked to Manic Mechanic yet. Hopefully between the two there's enough info to make the adapter.
.002 is easily close enough since the adaptor is going to be split to clamp on the rear axle.

John

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Are you getting a different reading off the same spot or in different places? If it's different every time from the same place I'd say it's your mic, if it's different as you go around the hub I don't think it would be beyond the realm of possibility for a Chinese made hub to not be totally round.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
After getting hold of a better set of calipers than those Harbor Freight specials, I got the same reading as the micrometer one of the machinists used.

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
I just called Manic Mechanic. It's been 15 days since I placed my order. They said they are shipping out another batch of orders in 4 days. I asked if my order would be in that lot. She just said, "I don't know". So if I'm 'lucky' I'll get my order 21 or 23 days after placing it. Pretty crappy if you ask me.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I just called Manic Mechanic. It's been 15 days since I placed my order. They said they are shipping out another batch of orders in 4 days. I asked if my order would be in that lot. She just said, "I don't know". So if I'm 'lucky' I'll get my order 21 or 23 days after placing it. Pretty crappy if you ask me.
Mr. Friesen,

I don't want anyone to have a "crappy" experience. Your refund has been processed.

This forum should not be used as a way of publicly bashing the few of us who design and manufacture useful upgrade parts for motorbikes.

I know, I know...Your intention was to somehow make me fear that I will loose untold amounts of business if I do not satisfy your order immediately...there are orders behind yours...and thier orders will be filled first. Now that your order is no longer a concern, someone else is going to get thiers faster.

I know every customer in my, "To Do", order book. Every customer is important! It bothers me far more than it does you when unforeseen circumstances hold up orders. I don't like it either!

Jim