motor is bogging won't open up

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
i just installed my dax 80cc and i have run about a 1/4 tank of gas and this thing just will not open up. is because its new or is it because my mixture is 8oz. oil to one gallon of gas. which way do i need to go on my little c clamp on the needle in the carburator, up a line or down. its in the second slit. will this help?

hammerhead

Jan 3, 2009
michigan
you have got to break these engines in slowley. that means not going over 15 mph for at least 3 tanks of gas, they will gain speed and power in time.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
It does take awhile to break them in, but it should not be bogging. Ride it as best you can for awhile to get it hot. Shut it down. Allow to cool and remove the plug. What does it look like?

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
hey pablo. I checked the plug today after a ride and it looks good to me. its a little gray,(just a little) it isn't oily or black.actually i was supprised how clean it was.Is this normal or shoould it be oily.One thing is Im not used to riding a 20inch bike. Everyone I've ever built was a 26 inch. this thing is slow! here's a picture of it

Attachments

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
A common problem I run into is that the gas cap is not venting properly. Try to unscrew it so that it's just sitting in the hole. 1/4 tank of gas.....just to troubleshoot...and see if it still bogs.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Nice looking bike!

Not a bad idea, and it sounds like it's not too rich. It could be a fuel delivery issue, so check the cap, fuel valve, fuel filter, float valve, main jet......

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
if it boggs at wide open close the choke at wide open and see if it picks up/runs better if it does then the main jet is a little to small if it dies then the main is close to the right size. I haven't ran across a gas tank cap that doesn't leak yet if gas can get out then air can get in.
Check the air cleaner see if its full of oil if it is clean it and install it with out oiling it. soap and warm water will clean the air filter pat it dry with a paper towel and install it then ride the snot out of it.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You could have a partially plugged exhaust. You would need to take it off and blow compressed air through it and see.
You might also match up the gasket on the exhaust and the intake. What I mean by this is see where the gasket is over hanging the openings and trim off the excess.
It will take a little time for these to break in most do need breaking in as they do you will notice an increase of power and the engine will smooth out. I know my first bikes engine, the speed and performance was for no better words SUCKED until I got it broke in. I switched to 32 to 1 mix after about one or two tanks of fuel. I was hooked on them and now have 4 (anyone need a bike?) I've done things to try and make them run better porting polishing tuned? pipe that I make and then I make lights for these so I ride most of the time after dark when its cooler summers in Texas are very warm for a X Wyomingite.
Keep plunking away it will do one of 2 things get better or get worse laff
Norman
Let me know as I'm here to try to help even if I just BSed my way through this time.

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
I matched the ports b4 instillation with a die grinder. This is my second build and they have now done simmilar kms 1st bike =50cc fast. ported. no more mods
2nd bike =66cc bogging.Has new carb, ported new leed and cap better air cleaner
both are from Grube

Last edited: