spark plug wire

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Where are you guys getting high performance wire and boot?What should I be looking for?Thanks Ron

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: Spark plug wire and boot.

any hypo shop that has bulk wire since you only need a foot and will need to cut that. 7mm good core and good silicone boot will make all the difference in the world. i got mine from napa and also a race car place that i cannot remember the name of for the life of me.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

One of the weak links on these bicycle motor kits is the plug/wire/cap.

Do it now.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I've been looking at MSD and Dyna. MSD is what we use on our race car's and they have many upgrades for small engine and motorcycles. Dyna is mostly for motorcycles. But I have not found anything that would seem to work. Maybe somebody with more knowledge will have better luck then me.
Do any of you guy's remember the Answer Roost Boost? It's basically a amp for your ignition. I'm sure I could get one to work but they stopped making them 10 years ago. I've looked for one like crazy but have not found one.
Dyna has one, but it is for 4cyclinder motorcycle.

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA

How do you guys attach the new spark plug wire to the CDI?
And is there a part number for a better spark plug?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas

The plug wire just screws out and the new one screws in. There's a little threaded peice in the cdi....................

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

How do you guys attach the new spark plug wire to the CDI?
And is there a part number for a better spark plug?
As Ilikea says, there is a screw (sheet metal threads) inside the CDI plug wire hole...just unscrew the old one, screw the new one in. You may need to make a starter hole in the new wire center conductor with a tiny screw or awl or something. Also use some silicone grease or lube on the OD of the new wire. This will help it go in and seal it. (don't use any regular petroleum grease)

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA

Cool, what about the spark plug? Should I get a new one, if so what kind of plug. Or is the stock plug good enough?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas

I'm still running the stock plug in both of my bikes. But I'll probably change them out this summer. I figure if it aint broke don't fix it................

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

Cool, what about the spark plug? Should I get a new one, if so what kind of plug. Or is the stock plug good enough?
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/spark-plug-replacement-653.html

I like the NGK B5HS, but they can be a bit tough to find locally. I ordered from the web.....eBay! But also try a motorcyle shop.....in Seattle a bit rare, but if you make it up Aurora/99, Lynnwood area, lots of MC shops up there. Call 'em - let me know, too!:D

Rnalecz

Jul 19, 2008
Spark plug wire question

I went out and bought a NGK B6HS plug with no problem. But i still need a 7mm wire. I have seen other spark plug wires but they were so long and look nothing like the inside of the stock one. What should i look for when i look at the wires, and if i bought one would i be able to screw the new one back on the cdi?

lazylegs

Aug 20, 2008
Innisfail, Alberta Canada
Resistive type spark plug cable

I was just wondering if performance would suffer if a carbon type spark wire is used? It adds some resistance and I was wondering if spark is affected.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Re: Resistive type spark plug cable

We have found no performance difference between a copper core and carbon type resistor wire. The major advantage of the resistor wire is that if you use an electronic speedo it won't reset itself all the time.