New Hub - Oozing Grease

GoldenMotor.com

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I added a hub adapter to a brand new wheel (with Shimano hub). After a short first ride I noticed some grease appears to have oozed out. Can someone please have a look at the picture and tell me if that's normal? If not do I need to tighten the cone nut, or what?

Thanks, Groove.

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's normal. if it's a brand new hub, they use a pretty thin grease, so it oozes out pretty quick after the first couple rides.

i always repack mine with a thicker grease, like "red and tacky" wheel bearing grease. the factory grease just isn't that good.

you would only need to tighten the cones if they're loose. there shouldn't be any play in them at all. if you grab your tire and you can wiggle it back and forth, they're loose.

it's a little tricky to get it perfect, but it should spin freely, without any slop.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Okay, great; that's what I was hoping to hear. There isn't any play in the wheel and it spins freely, so I think the cone is adjusted correctly. I'll re-pack with some better grease as you've suggested.

Last question - the nut that holds the brake arm against the "star" or "key" thing.. Should that nut be tightened down firmly or just lightly?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, crank that nut down. i put a pipe over the brake arm for leverage and use a big wrench on the nut.

also, make sure the brake arm is clamped securely to the frame.

that arm is the most important part of making a coaster brake work.