Pirate hub adapter slippage...

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I had to grind down the flat parts where the two halves meet to get it tight enough to hold....
I still have a little slippage...

What would make a good shim to put under to stop the slipping?

I can also grind some more off to get it a little tighter....

Have any of you had this problem and how did u fix it??

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
The solution as Tom points out in that thread - is to connect the adapter to a Chinese rag joint. That's hilarious Tom.

Seriously though, thanks for pointing us to that thread. I have a Pirate (or MM?) adapter just WAITING to be mounted, so that info from Biknut will come in handy.

Sounds like the two bolts need 20 ft-lbs to clamp it down securely. Borntofli - if you try that can you report back the results please..

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I didnt know if a shim swould slip more than just stock....... I might grind a littlt more to get a tighter fit and all should be good...........

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
What's the diameter of your hub? The Shimano 110 size is what these adapters were disigned around. I measured my with a digital caliper to be 1.528".

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Well, i finally had the fix the hub adapter..... By waiting if finally took out 3 spokes on a hard start....

I shimmed it w/ plumbers tape..... Doesnt seem to slip at all now.....Used cheater bar to tighten......

I will use thes on all ,my bikes from now on.......

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well, i finally had the fix the hub adapter..... By waiting if finally took out 3 spokes on a hard start....

I shimmed it w/ plumbers tape..... Doesnt seem to slip at all now.....Used cheater bar to tighten......

I will use thes on all ,my bikes from now on.......
Plumber's tape? What's that?
I hope you don't mean teflon tape meant for pipe threads. Or that steel/copper strap with holes that plumbers use to suspend pipe. If your adapter is so loose as to require that much shim you need to return it and get one correctly bored for the diameter of your hub.

If you mean teflon tape, that will not work either. Believe me, it will loosen after a short period.

Tom

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I used the stuff w/ the holes....... No slippage anymore.....I bought it used so no returning.....

I think it will be fine.....A little modification is necessary to make any thing work......