Handlebar and rider orientation

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I currently have a 10 speed racier style but would prefer an older bike. I'm not comfortable in the racing position, mostly because I'm over 50. Are the frames on most common bike similar enough that changing handlebars (and seat) is a possible solution? Or should I keep looking for a differant bike?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Surfer,
Changing the bars and seat position on any bike will effect the way it sits but not the ride. The smaller (skinnier) the tire the firmer the ride. If your bike is the traditional 10 speed racer I have to assume it has thin tires. The cruiser style bikes with fat tires typically will be more comfortable on old rear ends, like ours, and they allow for a more comfortable sitting position. It has been my experience that most bikes will benifit from a lay-back seat post. This moves the rider further to the rear and gives a little more knee room and leg stretch. Hope this helps and send us pictures of whatever you decide to build.
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my swchinn del mar cruiser bike with the large springy seat and the large fat cruiser tires and long old style handle bars makes for a comfortable ride.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Definitely remove the drop bars and replace with MTB or beach cruiser bars before motorizing.

danabike

Jun 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I haven't started my build yet, but as an experienced bicycle guy, I would tell you to look further than a road bike, such as yours. At moped speeds, that ride is going to be very hard and bumpy. You'll want something that runs at least a 2" tire to smooth things out, and a road bike won't accommodate those rims/tires. I would use a mountain bike, preferably with some suspension, and a quality tire like Continental Town & Country's or a similar tread pattern.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I currently have a 10 speed racier style but would prefer an older bike. I'm not comfortable in the racing position, mostly because I'm over 50. Are the frames on most common bike similar enough that changing handlebars (and seat) is a possible solution? Or should I keep looking for a differant bike?
For me it is definitly a cruiser bike or Mt. bike frame with good cruiser tires and riser bars. Not ape hangers but Wald #880 riser bars, they fall in the perfect location for comfort. I have them on four of my bikes.

John

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Due to your recommendation I got Wald #880's for my aluminum mountain bike and it is super comfortable!

Where do you put your gear switchers though?
Two suggestions:

1. Mount it down on the seat post/tube. You won't be using it much unless you have a shift kit, so where it is won't matter. You'll have to shorten the cable.

2. You can buy handlebar extenders, looks like bull horns, that clamp onto the bars. Roadies use them a lot. Use one and mount the shifter mechanism to it. Your cable will be the same length as it was. Check post number 69 of this thread for photos > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35675&page=7

Tom

Last edited: