Engine Quaility

GoldenMotor.com

Stoked-On-Spokes

Jul 29, 2010
Illinois
Ok, I'm new here but I've been a motorcyclist for years. I've been lurking on this board a while trying to get ideas for a new motorized bike build but was left a bit unsatisfied.

The Chinese engines I have seen don't look so hot. Their casting look worse than Royal Enfields and that says alot. Are there any good engines that actually look decent? Are there engines that are or can be polished?

I'm thinking about a Felt Twin, with a clean engine, stretched out exhaust (like a Triumph with peashooters), frame tank, and a springer fork. I also plan on modifying the frame if needed so I can run with a multi-sprocket cassette and a jack-shaft.

Anyhow, am I reaching? I mean, all is doable but I'm concerned about the powerplant as this would be a focal point to my madness. Please advise. laff

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If your concern is aesthetics alone then the Chinese engines aren't so bad, they're remarkably easy to clean them up a bit (it's jus' that ya hafta lol) and we've a few members that have polished them up & got 'em lookin' fine: http://motorbicycling.com/f4/polishing-bicycle-engine-347.html

If budget is less a worry and yer after quality and power - check out the Morini or even a Wizzer engine - but neither comes as a "kit" & to the best of my knowledge start at about $600... Morini Motors Whizzer Motorized Bicycles

...and welcome to the place lol :D

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
If your concern is aesthetics alone then the Chinese engines aren't so bad, they're remarkably easy to clean them up a bit (it's jus' that ya hafta lol) and we've a few members that have polished them up & got 'em lookin' fine: http://motorbicycling.com/f4/polishing-bicycle-engine-347.html

If budget is less a worry and yer after quality and power - check out the Morini or even a Wizzer engine - but neither comes as a "kit" & to the best of my knowledge start at about $600... Morini Motors Whizzer Motorized Bicycles

...and welcome to the place lol :D
Welcome, and listen to B.A.W, the Morini's are where it's at, if you feel like spending a bit extra.
The chinese motors are great for the price point, and if you like modifying, pick one up and go at it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Are there any good engines that actually look decent? Are there engines that are or can be polished?
...the powerplant would be a focal point to my madness.
All I can do as far as quality inside goes is Grubee SkyHawks, I was steered that way when I started and stayed there, and I am partial to black ones that almost become invisible like these.

But if you want to make the motor the focal point then you can get the 'plain' Grubee unfinished motor, pop on on some chrome parts, and most likely be able to at least get some sheen polishing on the rest.

I have no links handy to help with that 'chrome it up part' but I'm sure this sites ad links have some.
...Stretched out exhaust (like a Triumph with peashooters), frame tank, and a springer fork. I also plan on modifying the frame if needed so I can run with a multi-sprocket cassette and a jack-shaft.
Man after my own heart when it comes to gears and a Jackshaft, changed my riding world with my luxury 3-speed in the pic above ;-}

I am not a fan of springer forks for real use, but to help some and cool factor they are great.

Since a Jackshaft comes as just metal parts you should have no problem chroming it up before you put it on, I black mine, but that is my motif as it were.

I really want to steer you to a hub shifter but derailers do have a lot more chrome and work fine, but I suggest you get a bike with gears to start with.
It does not matter what the front derailer is, that sprocket gets replaced with the Jackshaft kit, just the rear matters.

Hope that helps and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...& BTW, I forgot to mention this earlier but yer screen name is ossum lol (^) It'd be a great business name heh