2 pack or not 2 pack that is the question

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got my new tensioner with the bearing, now do I need to grease it before use or not. I was thinking, it might not help but it sure as heck couldn't hoit. Then again somebody here should know for sure.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The one I got seems a little tight but since I'm not planning to use it just yet I haven't removed the roller to check for grease.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Do you have some marvel mystery oil?

Put some of that on there and run it for a few dozen miles, then clean it out when it starts to turn black and pack it with grease.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Regular motor oil or even 3-in-one oil would be better than something too thin.

I've noticed that no matter what kind of oil or grease you use (in any application) you'll see a definite change in color when it's getting around time to change it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now see I thought that MM was a super thin oil. Thought that was the appeal of it. Thanks for setting me straight. I used it once in an engine with sludge to clean the oil holes in the block. Not sure it did any good though.

bravofire84

Feb 13, 2008
Say where would could i aquire one of those gadgets i have a 80cc on a 19incj frame with quickrelease rims and my chain doesn stay on at all.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got mine on ebay, your chain won't stay on are you sure your chain isn't too long. It is just a tensioner like the one in the kit but it has a bearing set. the kit one doesn't

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
MM is thin, but not like liquid wrench or other penetrating oils.

I would use it just to seat the bearings, then pack with grease.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Of course the first one is not for the drive side. Someone was asking about changing a multi-speed into a single or other somewhere 'round here.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
gotya, I thought it was thin but i see now.. As to the tensioner...yeah the one i got wasn't anything but the kit tensioner with a small bearing.

It was way more expensive than it was worth but then again it's a toy lol. I do like the one you showed I had a mountain bike for a while that I took to one speed with a coaster rear wheel. If I ever do it again, I'll change the crank and the rear wheel or go with a tensioner like the one in the picture... the coaster wheel has the advantage of a brake so you get to lose one of the brake handles to make room for the clutch handle.

Before I do another one, I'm going to look around for one with spring suspension. The bike I have now is light weight steel framed and it just shakes my teeth.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
When and if mine seizes I will get the bearing one. I do keep my non-ballbearing tensioner slathered with synthetic grease and so far it is doing great. Oils mentioned seem to be too thin and without much AW/EP protection. HD motor oil at least will have some AW agents, but without a carrier it won't stay around long.

Anyways - after this last month+ I really finally feel I have my chain tension dialed in. It just takes patience and monkeying. Even if you take a link too many, you can re-pin it. And some bikes have more adjustment than first glance indicates.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Everybody swears by those tensioners with the bearings. I found the one i had to be garbage as well as the non bearing one. i think I would tighten the drive chain and tension the bike chain if I needed to tension one of them. Just use it as a chain guide since i don't pedal much.