The Rubber City Flyer

GoldenMotor.com

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Well, initially I planned on making a board tracker, and still intend to down the line. But due to a recent acquisition, I am building a Cruiser! I found this 1956 B.F. Goodrich Spitfire. Since the bike is a B.F Goodrich marketed Schwinn, and I live in Akron, Ohio, I have decided to name her the "Rubber City Flyer". Overall, the bike has solid frame with pretty good original paint for being 60 years old.

I plan on cleaning her really good and touching up the paint, re-grease the crank bearings and headset bearings. The fenders need massaged or replaced. And, yes I will reinforce the brackets and braces also. Since it is a middle-weight frame, I intend to embrace her for what she is a middle-weight Schwinn! I am going to make my own beefed up S-7 wheel set with a Sturmey Archer Dynamo 90mm drum front hub, and Shimano cb-e110 coaster on the rear. I really wanted balloon tires, yet I want to keep the fenders and not have to mess with making them work. I found a pretty cool compromise... 26 x 2 x 1 3/4 Wide Profile S-7 tires made by Sunlite and maybe others.

So, in my book, I get the best of both S-2 and S-7 rims! Think I will paint the rims Coach Green to match the bike.

Here is the Pre-War Truss that I am going to use on this build.

I just received an email stating that my Panther tank from Pat (Sportsman Flyer) has shipped. I plan on running a 2 stroke china girl, but haven't set on a vendor yet.

Does anyone know of any info, color codes and such on color matching Schwinn paint, especially, Coach Green and Ivory? I have found on the interwebs some guys with very expensive rattle cans that claim to be a good match, but I would like an enamel automotive paint to shoot with an airbrush or brush on areas that need touch-up. More to come soon, I will start mocking her up as more parts arrive.

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Welcome to the Forum Robert. Should be a super nice build! As far as the paint site I have 0 idea but perhaps someone I would ask for a color chip of the actual paint before plunking down all that money. They look like small cans.
If it was me I would look for Krylon brand matches, that shade of green is pretty common. They sell it at walmart or other big box hardware stores. I love Krylon as it dries hard and fast then clear coat it with Krylon triple thick clear. Stuff looks factory. Plus most Krylons have the primer built in. Even if you use any brand the Krylon tri thick clear rocks.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I love it already! I never knew big box companies had marketing bikes back then. I know plenty of examples today (GMC, Hummer, red bull, fat tire, even Jimmy Buffett).

You can also see if a local Sherwin Williams store can produce the paint. That's pretty pricey for rattle cans.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Man, that's a nice bike with original paint. Giving it a rattle can paint job will just make it worth less money. I'd keep it as it and find a different bike to restore or change.

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Man, that's a nice bike with original paint. Giving it a rattle can paint job will just make it worth less money. I'd keep it as it and find a different bike to restore or change.
Pat, You are totally correct! I do not want to rattle can paint this bicycle. I only want to touch up small areas. And, maybe not at all. I do want to match the green to paint my rims, repaired fenders, and your tank. Just as I stated, I am not even going to fight S2/Balloon tires either. She is a middleweight bike and actually the first generation in Schwinn's foray in to them.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Cool! We have to preserve the history as best we can. I had a similar bike that was the black and white, maybe creme, color. People would always comment on the factory paint.

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Welcome to the forum Robert!; I too have a panther & hornet on this site. I had to re-finish mine cause they were pretty rough & needed new paint/ powder coating . Just recently sold a 1950 Red panther w/ 2 stroke engine , from DAX. He's on the left of the screen. The Schwinn straight bar bikes are one of my favorite to motorize. Did you get to look at the motor mounts from m&mbikeparts.com ? Your bike looks amazing & the paint looks great for being that old. Well enough rambling,,, I can't wait to see the progress of your build! Good luck & have fun with it ,,,, later DOC dnut

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Today was very relaxing and productive. In fact, I didn't even curse once at the bike like I do when I work on cars! Anyway, completely stripped the bicycle down to the frame. The only problem that I encountered was the lower screw holding the front fender to the steering tube is rust up pretty good. I sprayed it good with PB Blaster and will let it soak over night. Tomorrow, I will put the tube in a vise and extract that screw. After removing everything from the bike, I inspected bearings of the headset and crank. They look good; just needing a good cleaning and re-greased. The frame got it's first bath in many years. I just used hot water and Dawn dish soap.

Definitely, needs the paint touched in places, especially by in the Ivory.

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Yesterday, I was triumphant and won the battle of the fender mounting screw at the bottom of the fork! I soaked the rusted $*&# overnight with PB Blaster. Then Sunday morning, I put the fork, with fender still attached, in my vise and used a pair of vise-grips on the head of the screw. Felt it break loose and slowly screwed it out. No damage, no break off, I guess some of my ole hotrod tricks are paying off.

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Today, my tank arrived from Pat (Sportsman Flyer). I can't believe how nice this is! It looks sweet, feels great, and fits perfect! So stoked about this build. If you have a 1950s Schwinn straight bar frame, You want this tank.

dance1

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Looks really good, are you going to make top bar tank clamps, or is it tight enough with just the front and bottom clamp?

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Hey ZipTie, Glad you like the build. As for the tank clamps on the bottom, they are supplied by Sportsman Flyer, and hold the tank more than tight, movement is minimal when torqued down. My build is in the mock-up staging at this point. When I am finished the tank clamp screws will be loctited also.

Sportscarpat, aka "Sportsman Flyer" uses these tanks and clamps on his Bonneville Salt Lake Speed record holding bikes. Good quality equipment.

JankeyKevin

Aug 10, 2016
MotorCity
Robertzep, I have been following your build and really like what you are doing. It certainly takes time to have a quality, dependable, build. Back to your paint question: just wondering if you have visited your local automotive paint supplier? The paint supply houses, around here, can colour match any shade in any finish and paint type you desire. Luckily, my bike's paint colour was found in the paint isle at a chain auto parts store but for my vehicles I get a pint of touch-up as well as one or two cans of spray paint made up from the auto paint supplier. Good luck!

JankeyKevin

Aug 10, 2016
MotorCity
Robertzep, I really like what you are doing and have been following. It takes time for a reliable ride to come together.
Back to your paint question, I am wondering if you have visited your local automotive paint supply house? I was lucky enough to match my bike's paint color at a chain auto parts store. For my vehicles, though, I get a pint of touch up and one or two cans of spray paint made by auto painters supply. They can normally make sprays in a variety of finishes and paint types. Good luck!

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Hey JankeyKevin, I am glad you like what I'm doing with my build. I agree that time and taking more time produces a great and thought out machine. This forum is a "How to guide", for about any type of bike or engine combination available; then modify to your needs. As to your suggestion on Automotive paint stores, it just so happens that Sherman Williams supplied paint to Schwinn. I have been told if I go to a Sherman Williams automotive paint store they can hook me up on the Coach Green and Ivory in enamel! Luckily, I work right around the corner from on of SW paint stores. I think, I'll stop there tomorrow during lunch...

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Today, my tank arrived from Pat (Sportsman Flyer). I can't believe how nice this is! It looks sweet, feels great, and fits perfect! So stoked about this build. If you have a 1950s Schwinn straight bar frame, You want this tank.

Absolutely!!, This is my favorite Schwinn frame .
I have 7 straight bar frame built bikes total. here is the last one I built in Red powdercaoting

Attachments