what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

i have got a ptototype of pats hub adapter and it moved a bit the first day after install but after settling and re tighten it hasnt moved at all and i got close to 150 miles on it and it only has 3/4" mounting bracket not the final 7/8" for the production run. cnt wait to get another one for my next build here soon. wouldnt buy anything else as far as a hub adapter goes.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

it was prob a bit loose. i've never had one move on me. I met chainmaker and we fabbed and welded his motor mounts for his hf 2.5 and ez drive. we think he needs to pull the drive side spokes out further because we couldnt get the pulleys to line up he went with a belt drive setup.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

think i might have a headgasket leaky thing going on. bike acts like it's got an air leak. but i have the intake pipe coated in gasket sealer anywhere that it could possibly have a leak.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

Head bolts Skarrd? Just saying 'cause thats an easy fix/check.
just now pulled the head and jug off, sanded them true. put it back together, seems to run a little better now. (gonna see if i got a spare headgasket laying around)

i torque mine to 20ft-lbs. even though it's recommended at 15ft-lbs. really i blame the muffler. had to take my custom pipe off cause it was rattling alot, back pressure really kills my motor.

expansion pipe should be here in about an hour or so. mail man usually comes around noon to 1:45.

MAIL MAN
Y-U-NO COME SOONER???

lol

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Wow, 20. I do around 12. (NOT SUGGESTING THIS TO ANY ONE, just what I do)

Drives ya nutz, eh? Almost always never one or simple thing. I really think that is part of the fun. The joy of problem solving and getting her happy. Is like marriage but you can ride your bike in public.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

Wow, 20. I do around 12. (NOT SUGGESTING THIS TO ANY ONE, just what I do)

Drives ya nutz, eh? Almost always never one or simple thing. I really think that is part of the fun. The joy of problem solving and getting her happy. Is like marriage but you can ride your bike in public.
LMAO! wow dan, was not expecting that from you. XD

also found a neat way to tell if the head gasket has a small leak, take some gasket maker and put it around the head gasket, then go ride it right after (don't let it dry) for maybe 5 minutes or so. then check the head, you'll see bubbles where it's leaking.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

LOL, was just gonna report my self for a not so family friendly joke. (Paul has at times written back and told me to go "council yourself" We have some great hosts!)
But the conversation moved on so might be safe. (still gonna report my self, snork)

For intake leaks, I spray with starter fluid. Big time, be careful! It is a controlled explosion and this method is adding fuel to a fire!! Out doors only! But does let ya know right away if any air is getting in. Please, please any one who knows better chime in.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

OK so I was wanting to try out the Manic Mechanic straight intake for a while but was always thinking that they might be problematic especially when trying to mount a CNSv1 or 2 what with the clutch cable guide post being as high as it was.

The other day I was talking to Robert at Piston bikes and he said he got some of the new version that are larger and made specifically for the CNS carbs to mount them without the insulator ring and he also confirmed that the clutch cable post was a problem.

Anyway I ordered one and found that the post is so tall that you have to cut about a half inch off of it so it will even clear the float bowl and then screw it all of the way down till it bottoms out. Once I did this it was very hard to put in the clutch cable and I found that pulled very hard after it was adjusted. The clutch cable also rubbed on the bottom of the carb bowl because of the extreme upward angle to the clutch lever.

After looking for a few minutes at the set up it dawned on me that the ferrule on the cable post has the same threads as the clutch cover screws so I pulled the one that lined up with the clutch lever and threaded in the ferrule finger tight and passed the clutch cable through at a right angle and it works great... I then took a 3/8" insulated split clamp and secured the cable to the top screw hole of the clutch cover with a longer screw... I was worried that it might pill tight but it feels great...

Just like Bob Ross from the PBS painting show says "sometimes happy accidents happen when least expected...

Next to make a gasket and mount the new intake cant wait to see how it runs...

Here are some pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

LMAO! wow dan, was not expecting that from you. XD

also found a neat way to tell if the head gasket has a small leak, take some gasket maker and put it around the head gasket, then go ride it right after (don't let it dry) for maybe 5 minutes or so. then check the head, you'll see bubbles where it's leaking.
I put about 0.2 yard pounds on mine:D

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got the SBP expansion pipe on. ^-^ it felt so awesome!!!! really had a lot of 'punch' to it while running. probably gonna eventually get some better bends for it so the pipe fits better. (needed something around a 30* bend rather than the 45*) right now it's slung under the bike, but i'm wanting to change it so it's tucked up under the seat. i just like how that looks.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Very, very well done Mark!
It reminds me alot of the pulley mod, but no additional parts other than a cable are necessary. I am a bit concerned about accelerated cable/ housing wear right where the tight bend is as the assembly passes through the ferrule. Could you keep us up dated on how this mod works out in the long run? This may very well be an excellent mod for many other folks who have carb/ cable interference.
Again, well done!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Didn't get to work on mine today but went on an 8 mile ride on 2 of my bikes just making some comparisons in power and top end speed while using my GPS to monitor things, i will be pulling the engine on my newest build shortly and doing some porting and head shaving to get it running like the other one, it's 8 mph faster than the new build.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I will have to take fresh pics of my vintage Higgins with the bullet-style tail lights, and that cool faux croc leather trunk on the rack. Lights work great. Bike looks good. Trunk is big enough to hold a bunch of stuff. Likin' it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Replaced that leaky petcock with the nice Sick part. Locktited the kickstand, exhaust and intake bolts. Greased the reduction gears.

Last Sunday I brazed the muffler cap on.

Tomorrow I ride.