what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Not having any luck with the new bike. Turned out it was only an 18" frame, no biggie, have an offset intake coming from gasbike.net(cost more to ship than the part, lol), and low-profile front large tube mount. Can fit my normal head in there np.

Then trying to get sprocket on I would've had to lose the rear disc. Was thinking about a 'Tophat' from Kings, but the friggin frame curves in on the seat stays. So had to break down and get a jackshaft kit from SBP. Should be worth it, just to fly through gears, and keep the rear disc.

Got their head stud kit too, one less thing to worry about down the road. :)

Just pedaling the bike around feels smoother with the 29" tires, should be gravy with the motor on her.

Have a good one!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Decided NOT to pull the carby again and drill the MJ to bigger than #71 drill size until I tried the new plug, first.

Had pulled the original Young Master that was leaking at the point between insulator and body and installed a new LD plug from the other motor.

Pulled the LD, and it was wet and black, so I put in the NGK B6HS.
Took it for a beer run, and to drop off a redbox... I was lucky to make it home!
NOW it is spitting back through the carb a bit, and four-stroking the rest of the time. Speed? I got none.

Thought maybe I'd try a WOT attempt and a throttle chop so I went to get a couple bullet connectors for connecting the kill switch at the hardware store which is on a level street. Planned to install the kill switch there, then make a speed run on the way back home.

Did not happen!
Seems the price of connectors went up!
NOT gonna get a couple for pocket change any more.

So I straggled home and might have gotten up to 25mph going downhill after I left the level road.

This cns remains inconsistent. Must be other probs to deal with first.
Bottom screw on mag cover is wet. ...seal time!
Then I can get back to the carby.

Fun little toy to work on!
rc

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

I figured out how to hook my throttle up to my carb. That part wasn't in the instruction manual, so I took the carb apart to see what it was like in there & it just sorta came to me. I feel like I got lucky.

Still waiting on wheel tools so I can take care of the hubs before my first ride. Hoping to mount the motor Tuesday. Thinking about writing a new instruction manual for BGF.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I agree, we are getting gouged majorly for electrical connectors! If you can, get a whole bunch from a friend who works in electrical/electronic work, or just buy a big kit from a harbor freight type store and share with friends, or keep for future projects.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Yah, when I was working I always did that, Happy...
Now I'm just scraping for pocket change! lol
a china ht is just abt my speed!

Well, that guy murphy has caught up with me again. (I really need a faster MAB!)

My tiny number drills are labeled incorrectly from the local source... figgers, they are china made, too! When I check em with my mitutoyo caliper they all come up precisely one number increment off... no biggie, I just gotta run the next one in line...

My basketcase came dismantled, for a taco'ed rear wheel and the carb off and partly dismantled.. Seller said he'd had mid-range probs...
It was a #71 main jet and four stroking... so, on the conventional wisdom advice, I took it to a #74 and it fell on it's face. no go. Opened to #73 and it motivated a little but mostly with the choke worked feverishly...
Back at #71, (which is REALLY #70 !!!) it's still lacking for any speed at WOT and four stroking most of the lower rpm throttle settings...
I opened to #69 today, headed towards #68 which another fellow advised who has a small flock of them... a little bit of power back, but will only gain speed when headed down a hill.

I checked the burn on the ngk plug and it's WHITE! lean lean lean!

Got a drip of oil at the lowest mag cover screw... so I popped the cover off and there IS oil in the bottom of the case forward of the front screw boss, mostly... the seal probably isn't the best and I SHOULD replace it, but I got bigger fish to fry... or maybe rescue from the coals???

...rocking the engine at tdc with the plug removed, to get an idicator mark on the mag rotor, in advance of any tear down, as Alf has said, I'm getting more rattle from the top end than I would like to hear... Bad wristpin bearing or a rocking piston, I guess... Compression is still 'thumb OK' so I've put it all back together. It starts easily and does motivate...

Guess I better start comparing the price of parts against a replacement motor!

Does anyone know?
Did Murphy ever travel to asia?

:)
rc

Gonna open up that main jet again this afternoon... pretty soon I'll be pouring the mix in from a bucket! lol

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl

I agree, we are getting gouged majorly for electrical connectors! If you can, get a whole bunch from a friend who works in electrical/electronic work, or just buy a big kit from a harbor freight type store and share with friends, or keep for future projects.
This is ALL you need for ALL your "WAR" connections from BGMicro.com whose quick disconnects are merely soldered in line with where you wanna use your WARS

I bought 10 of them for me and my fren who builds bikes. 18 ga is fine for us

Quick Disconnect18 Gauge
[jpg]http://www.bgmicro.com/images/cab2153.jpg[/jpg]
Your Price: $1.55
BGmicro.com Part Number: CAB2170

Cut it wherever and hook one end to your project and the other end to your power source. This one comes in 16 gauge wire. Also comes in 18 gauge, 10 gauge, 14 gauge, and 12 gauge.

http://www.bgmicro.com/images/cab2153.jpg

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Hey rustycase,

Below is a link to motion Industries web site and these links are for better wrist pin bearings that will fix a top end rattle caused by the soft wrist pin bearing getting flat spots on the needles.

( Bearing Link ) Motion Industries - Product Search --

These bearings are very good quality and will stop the wrist pin bearing issue for good.

( Seal Link ) Motion Industries - Product Search --

Dont pay any attention to the pic on this seal link, the seal is correct but they have the wrong pic on here, I have several of these seals for my engines and they are a gray Nitrile Material just like it says in the description, the pic on the web site is wrong, but the link is correct so you can order better seals here and they are very reasonably priced too.

Best wishes...

Peace, map

Yah, when I was working I always did that, Happy...
Now I'm just scraping for pocket change! lol
a china ht is just abt my speed!

Well, that guy murphy has caught up with me again. (I really need a faster MAB!)

My tiny number drills are labeled incorrectly from the local source... figgers, they are china made, too! When I check em with my mitutoyo caliper they all come up precisely one number increment off... no biggie, I just gotta run the next one in line...

My basketcase came dismantled, for a taco'ed rear wheel and the carb off and partly dismantled.. Seller said he'd had mid-range probs...
It was a #71 main jet and four stroking... so, on the conventional wisdom advice, I took it to a #74 and it fell on it's face. no go. Opened to #73 and it motivated a little but mostly with the choke worked feverishly...
Back at #71, (which is REALLY #70 !!!) it's still lacking for any speed at WOT and four stroking most of the lower rpm throttle settings...
I opened to #69 today, headed towards #68 which another fellow advised who has a small flock of them... a little bit of power back, but will only gain speed when headed down a hill.

I checked the burn on the ngk plug and it's WHITE! lean lean lean!

Got a drip of oil at the lowest mag cover screw... so I popped the cover off and there IS oil in the bottom of the case forward of the front screw boss, mostly... the seal probably isn't the best and I SHOULD replace it, but I got bigger fish to fry... or maybe rescue from the coals???

...rocking the engine at tdc with the plug removed, to get an idicator mark on the mag rotor, in advance of any tear down, as Alf has said, I'm getting more rattle from the top end than I would like to hear... Bad wristpin bearing or a rocking piston, I guess... Compression is still 'thumb OK' so I've put it all back together. It starts easily and does motivate...

Guess I better start comparing the price of parts against a replacement motor!

Does anyone know?
Did Murphy ever travel to asia?

:)
rc

Gonna open up that main jet again this afternoon... pretty soon I'll be pouring the mix in from a bucket! lol

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

the links didn't come up right, map...
I think I need the seal & bearing numbers, if you know what they are.
Tnx
rc

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Dang rusty I dont know why those links aren't working but you're right they aren't.

Here is the info. for the seals.......

motionindustries.com

SKF Sealing Solutions
17X29X5 HMS5 RG GREY NITRILE SEAL
17x29x5 RG Oil Seal -

Metric SKF# 563933

Item No. 02508698

Here is the info. for the bearings:

motionindustries.com

INA
KBK 10X14X13 BRG
Item No. 02611506

go to motionindustries.com and paste in ( KBK 10X14X13 ) in the search box and leave all else the same and they should come up, do this same thing with this part number and you should get the seals page. ( SKF 17X29X5 )

peace, map

margaretbrent123

Aug 15, 2011
Sully, IA

Daily check up can make a huge difference. It's like having regular checkup, so you can see which parts need changing. In the long run, it could mean more savings because you won't have to keep tapping professional services to do the fixing.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

pre-mounted my motor to make sure I can get it level & line everything up without interference.
I'm putting a few layers of inner tube rubber between the mounts & the frame to cut down on vibrations. I know it ain't much, but it's something.
The exhaust pipe rides about 1/2 an inch behind the front tire right now....too close for comfort. Looks like I'm gonna learn how to bend pipe. I'm really digging getting to learn all these new skills.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Replaced the 4 screws on the mag cover with 3 x 20 x.7mm allen heads.
50cents apiece at the hardware store.

jet is drilled to #69 now and slide needle all the way down to ring #5 bringing the needle all the way up.

It's coming back to life... little by little.
Went through the radar sign at 21mph.

Will open the main jet to #68 or #67 tomorrow.
Gonna leave the needle at full fat until I get the WOT resolved.

Has anyone taken a file to the slant on the carby slide?
rc

tnx Map! I'll get that wristpin bearing and seals after the first when the eagle dumps.

*** I keep lookin at that SBP expansion chamber in the ad on the top left of the page... Gosh I'd like to get me one of those! :)

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Ordered a new front tube for the LA Cycles BigMo I'm working on. Tube has a larger hole than I like to patch. Need the bike up on the wheels before I start to cutting to see how much and where. I'm posting my Mongoose Paver on craigslist and getting some new parts like fork tubes set up for brakes and a black rear fender, don't think much of the flamed chrome one.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Very wise to replace a tube with a hole repair you would be uncomfortable with, Dave!

SO many problems with the boy's bikes when they were kids, (mobbing through the goats heads), every day was at least an hour flat fixing even with slime!

I now have a bad habit of running tubes with WAY too many patches!

Must break the bad habit now I'm under power.
...and now, the boys are blasting their mtb's up AND down the biggest hill in this part of the state! #2 came in a couple days ago and said he never thought his bike would go that fast!

Today...

i am really tired of my cns

Opened the main jet from .029 to .031, needle all the way open.
All it would do is bog.
Not even describable as four stroking, just bogged.

Yesterday, at .029, which is #69 drill size, it ran best recent speed at 21 through the radar sign. Today I turned around an couldn't even head towards the radar.

I'm going to set it aside for a while and put the nt on.

:-||
rc

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

In my opinion take that CNS and tape a quarter to it, then drive out somewhere and throw that thing just as far as you can and then drive away, now by doing this you can honestly say you threw something away....LOL!

If you have NO air leaks, your exhaust is flowing free & easy, and you get that NT tuned right to your engine, you should be doing 30 MPH WOT flat ground no big wind even if you have a 44T rear sprocket.

My bike will almost idle at 21MPH with the NT carbs, that is a putt putt speed for a well tuned engine with a free flowing exhaust and a well tuned NT carb.

Just make sure you dont have an air leak, you sure seem to be pouring load of fuel in that engine.....to get it not to be too lean.........something sounds out of wack to me if this is the case.

An NT with a jet drilled with a #73 bit and a good exhaust will normally run like a champ in my experience.

Peace, map

Very wise to replace a tube with a hole repair you would be uncomfortable with, Dave!

SO many problems with the boy's bikes when they were kids, (mobbing through the goats heads), every day was at least an hour flat fixing even with slime!

I now have a bad habit of running tubes with WAY too many patches!

Must break the bad habit now I'm under power.
...and now, the boys are blasting their mtb's up AND down the biggest hill in this part of the state! #2 came in a couple days ago and said he never thought his bike would go that fast!

Today...

i am really tired of my cns

Opened the main jet from .029 to .031, needle all the way open.
All it would do is bog.
Not even describable as four stroking, just bogged.

Yesterday, at .029, which is #69 drill size, it ran best recent speed at 21 through the radar sign. Today I turned around an couldn't even head towards the radar.

I'm going to set it aside for a while and put the nt on.

:-||
rc

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

WHAT...............!

Now you do know I was referring to it doing 21MPH very easy RIGHT......LOL!

And actually with a 36T sprocket it really isn't that far above a good idle when it goes 20MPH........

Peace, map

If your bike idles at 21 MPH, your idle is set way too high.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

LOL

Yah, it sure is frustrating, Map...

and that's part of what I don't like about the cns.

When things do not respond to an adjustment you have made to the carb internals, you find yourself questioning pilot error. "Did I get that carb nice and snug up against that manifold???" Maybe it's the dci/coil??? Maybe that NEW plug is bad? Perhaps the crank seals are bad and I should have replaced them?

Well, I hit 23 mph today after dropping the needle all the way down. Best speed yet... performed much better and I was able to ride it to the parts house to get the O-ring to use with the nt carby, as advised by Alf.

So, I'll keep messing with the cns another few days... 2morrow I'll solder up the jet and re-drill it just one size smaller, and see what the results are.

Fun little things to work on!
I'll conquer this cns before I check out, if I'm lucky!
rc