there's a hole in my cylinder body. what do i do??

GoldenMotor.com

michael5le

Sep 12, 2011
United States
there's a hole in my cylinder body near my intake valve. is this bad??? will it cause an air leak which i seem to think i have because my engine is running hot and it bogs down at full throttle. Is there some way to fix it like seal it up with soder or something???

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That looks looks a casting hole that passes through into the cylinder stud hole. It is not life threatening to the engine, but an eyesore none the less. Most all kits have this problem. Don't worry about it. It is caused by poor quality control during the casting process.

If you suspect an air leak, I recommend the pressure test procedure.
Here's a link to another thread where I left links on good demonstrations on the processes. http://motorbicycling.com/f39/idle-mess-but-runs-like-jet-33559.html#post325131

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If a 2 stroke has a leak anywhere in the engine it's easy to know, because oil will be all over the place. It's kind of like built in leak detection. If there's no oil coming out of the hole it's not leaking.

michael5le

Sep 12, 2011
United States
there's actually a little oil seeping out from where my spark plug screws in. is it possible for an air leak from there??? I went and test rode it for a bit and it's bogging down when i open the throttle all the way and the engine runs hot

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
there's actually a little oil seeping out from where my spark plug screws in. is it possible for an air leak from there??? I went and test rode it for a bit and it's bogging down when i open the throttle all the way and the engine runs hot
I think that's kind of normal. Mine seems to leak a little around the spark plug too, but it's really slight.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Sounds like you have a CNS carb.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Have you removed the spark plug and checked the color of the business end of it?
It should be coco brown to leather brown.
Black indicates that the fuel/ air mixture is too rich (too much fuel).
White indicates that the fuel/ air mixture is too lean (not enough fuel).

I am betting that yours is white. A lean burn is a hot burn and it also can cause bogging as the engine is getting starved for fuel to burn.
It also can overheat the piston/ cylinder and do serious damage in a short amount of time.
Check things out soon, your engine's lifespan could depend on it.