rear wheel loose

GoldenMotor.com

robert todd

Apr 29, 2011
VIRGINIA
I just built my first motor bike . Two issues i used a heavy workman rear wheel it looks like it is getting more and more play in the rear axle. I did tighten the big nut that holds the coaster brake lever. no help. Do I need to pull the whole wheel to tighten it up? The other issue when pulling in clutch, clutch does not disconnect fully. Clutch cable is tight seems it takes alot to push clutch lever in.More force than clutch handle can give. I am guessing it is not good to let it sit still and idle. Even when bike sits still I can smell clutch getting hot , slipping. Is it best not to sit still with motor running? THANKS

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you certain the clutch cable is adjusted tight enough. Most nerwcomers to the sport who use a 2 cycle Chinese engine underestimate the amount of force needed to disengage the clutch. A cable that has any slack will probably not pull the clutch actuating arm in far enough. If the kit supplied clutch lever is one of those very short ones, you might need to replace it with a longer one that will increase the leverage on the cable.
You also want to make sure that the clutch cable is lubricated inside the sheath and that you have no sharp bends or kinks in the cable route. Using zip-ties to secure the cable can cause problems. You want wide sweeping turns, not sharp bends.

As for the rear wheel, a set of cone wrenches will come in handy for adjusting bearing preload. They are slim enough to reach between the frame and the nuts so complete wheel removal shouldn't be necessary. There is a cone nut on both sides of the rear hub that require tightening but just enough to take out any play. Too tight and you'll wreck your bearings.
Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The clutch lever that came with my kit was a piece of crap. I installed it and it was really hard to pull.

Go to a bike shop and spend 10 bucks for a "linear pull" lever. These have a small metal piece that holds the cable end. Squirt some oil down the sheath and put some more oil right where the cable exits the ferral going to the clutch arm.

That made my lever about 300% easier to pull.

robert todd

Apr 29, 2011
VIRGINIA
10-4 you are right on. it is getting better but I have to keep adjusting clutch.
Now the carb keeps coming loose. Any suggestions here? Looks like i need a new, or better gasket. donut under the clamp.