Tire Liners: Slime

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Just threw on a new set of Kenda Slicks on the bike and decided to try some tire liners. I didn't want to spend alot of money, so I didn't shell out the dough for Mr. Tuffy. The idea behind my builds is AFFORDABILITY while trying to make them RELIABLE. Decided on grabbing a set of Slime Tire Liners. They are tough and light and at only $9.99 for (2) it keeps the bread in my pocket.

Not sure how they will work. They have not given me any trouble so far. It has only been one day though. Funny how they guarantee them for no flats with them due to puncture.................................................................

However they do not guarantee them against pinch flats.

Only time will tell.

Anyone else have any success or failure stories with them? Thanks,

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Yesterday I was in the saddle for a long while with these tire liners. I rode about a 100 mile stint around several zip codes. I rode over glass, shard, and lots of other crap, not worrying about what might happen because I carry my trusty little pocket air pump and patch kit with me where ever I go. I never got a flat and the bike ran flawless. It was a beautiful ride.

Here is a pict. I took from the top of a bridge I went over.

Attachments

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
As a kid (read no money) we cut the side walls off old tires and fit them inside the new tires, It worked like a charm for everything but pointy screws and nails.
These days I run Kevlar tires and thick tubes. I cant remember the last real flat i got.
BBB

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Well.....................................................................

You wanna stay away from these. There is a good damn reason why they do not guarantee them against pinch flats. Got 2 pinch flats in the past 2 days pounding the pavement everyday on my MB. Even after the first, I took out the tire liner and laced the sides of it with soft tape to prevent the liner from cutting into the tube.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Well.....................................................................

You wanna stay away from these. There is a good damn reason why they do not guarantee them against pinch flats. Got 2 pinch flats in the past 2 days pounding the pavement everyday on my MB. Even after the first, I took out the tire liner and laced the sides of it with soft tape to prevent the liner from cutting into the tube.
Thicker tubes, more tire pressure is an easy way to reduce the dreaded pinch flat!
works for me.
BBB
:-||

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Well.........................................................

I haven't gotten a pinch flat on the front tire with these slime tire liners. I only got pinch flats on the rear. The rear has a friction roller that presses down on the tire. That may be the reason as well for the pinch flats. The slime tire liner its self was what caused the pinch flat though. I can see where the side of the liner embeded into the tube and cut it.

I have a Mr. Tuffy tire liner on the way. Not sure if tire liners work with friction drives. We will see.

I stay away from kevlar tires, and thicker tubes for the same reason why when you by a bicycle at walmart, you notice when you take the tire off the bicycle you have your rim nipples covered with that inexpensive rubber band rather than rim tape. Affordability is the key to keeping the motorbicycle on the road everyday and not in the garage collecting dust like alot of other expensive rides who's owners are weekend warriors.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Got Mr. Tuffy in the mail today. Looks like they have softer sides than the slime tire liners. Maybe no pinch flats with these. I'll find out after I get a flat and put it in.

Speaking of flats? How do you change your tire when you get a flat? I found if I lean my MB against something, then take the wheel off and stick my helmet gently under the rear support stays. It holds the MB up and doesn't force my deraileur in the ground bending it from excess weight the engine/kit adds to the bike. Just a tip/idea. Works for me. Might work for you.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
idk about motorized bikes yet but in MA i haven't had a flat in close to 2 years from normal riding, those little thorns are crazy, we don't have anything like those here.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Good point!
I once used a concrete parking lot tire stop and my helmet to prop the bike up and fix an emergency flat the same way.
A heavy duty 2 leg center mounted kickstand was installed the next day.
No more problem.
BBB
:-||

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Well..................................

Mr. Tuffy has been in for a while, I have not gotten a puncture flat. I got one flat from a defective tube, and I got one flat from a pinch flat where the Mr. Tuffy tire liner overlaped itself.

I ended up getting a super thick tube. I dreaded but I bought a slime one, and decided to drain the slime out of it before I installed it. Opened up the valve to drain it and no slime came out. It is super thick and hopefuly it will stop the pinch flats.

Thanks for the advice, I've checked into the 2 legged kickstands before, but not sure which ones are good and which one are crap, and also contemplated adding additional weight to my ride. The helmet is always with me when parking stops are not to be found, to brace the rear support stays when changing rear tire.

I've got over 1,000 miles in this short time since I have gotten 2 friction kits. What people say about the wet weather is not so bad. Mine rides well in the wet, it just makes a horrible mess though. The roller picks up alot of crap and throws it on the rear frame where the seat tube is when it is wet out.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Ah yes... the dreaded road crud...
We know it well here in dirty old NYC.
Friction kits usually throw alot of crud around as well as tire rubber and other questionable matter.
Depending upon the Engine carrier its self there are many ways to shield you and the rest of your ride from the occasional road apple.
I cut a couple of pieces of thin scrap sheet metal and bent and drilled them to fit before and after the roller and pop riveted them to the underside of the carrier.
They need not be that large or long, just make sure they are very secure and fit close to the tire with out touching it, you can even cut tire clearance notches in the to fit the tire more closely, MAKE SURE THEY CANT SHAKE LOOSE AND HIT THE TIRE... It works every time because the crud has only one way to go... down.
Just keep that rear wheel and braking surfaces clean.
Good luck
BBB

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
3B's

Mine only seems to make a mess when it is wet outside. That is when the roller picks up a water/sand mix and throws it on the back seat tube. I would be interested in looking at your work though if you have picts. or a link Thanks,

Ohh Yea.....

The super thick tube works great and eliminates the pinch flats with Mr. Tuffy in the rear. On the front I still have the slime tire liner with the standard tube. Never got a flat on the front, and I think I have solved the problem in the rear with the flats.

The slime liners might work for bicycles or MB's that do not have a friction roller putting downward pressure on the tire disorientating the liner ever time it passes the roller.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I need to get some of these tires to try them out as they will give a little bit more durability in their life.

Something I do is inflate and deflate the tire/tube several times before I leave it at a proper tire pressure.
That's interesting; why do you do that though?

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
3B's

Mine only seems to make a mess when it is wet outside. That is when the roller picks up a water/sand mix and throws it on the back seat tube. I would be interested in looking at your work though if you have picts. or a link Thanks,

Ohh Yea.....

The super thick tube works great and eliminates the pinch flats with Mr. Tuffy in the rear. On the front I still have the slime tire liner with the standard tube. Never got a flat on the front, and I think I have solved the problem in the rear with the flats.

The slime liners might work for bicycles or MB's that do not have a friction roller putting downward pressure on the tire disorientating the liner ever time it passes the roller.
Well Albula, up until 2 years ago i had no idea motor biking and building was this popular, like many of us i labored alone, in my little garage to build something unique, working late nights and weekends if i had the time and the money.
I had no idea there were forums so i didn't think to take pictures, I've long since sold off all my friction drives.

Also...there was a social aspect...
I actually tried to keep my little hobby secret for a long time.
Being a highway patrolman has its macho aspects,...
John Q. Law, biker cop, building and riding moto bicycles? the same guy that put a 124" custom built Harley Davidson engine and 6 speed tranny in his pursuit unit Road Glide just to be the fastest mother F**K*R out there, on a 66cc china doll?
I felt like i might get laughed out of the squad room, believe me.... these guys can be merciless.
Once they latch on to something, no matter how innocent, you'll be ribbed endlessly...

I've even heard tell of some people that look down there noses at us and think its silly and childish for a grown man to build and ride moto bikes.
But i say screw em!
This is how the modern motorcycle was born... Some guy busting his knuckles on his own trying to build something different.
I think its still the purest form of the sport/art.
I'm a life time moto biker and proud of it!
KEEP IT SHINY SIDE UP!
BBB
P.S. Kevlar tires are the real deal...

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The Super Thick tube left me stranded. It was a defect in the tube. It came apart at one of the seams. A small split, and I even tried to drain all the slime out before I installed it. Sure enough I got slimed when I took it out. I tried to patch it 2 times but would not patch. YOU CAN NOT PATCH SLIME TUBES. I have tried multiple times. The slime some how comes out when you are applying rubber cement and in jeporadizes the bond. It was running the best it has though with this setup thusfar.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I find pre-slimed tubes to be false advertising my self. They are good for about mebbe two weeks in the massive stickers I have here. The paper thin tubes I simply do not use. What I use is the thorn proof heavy duty tubes and I use the bottle I put up to about 7 ounces in each of my tubes. I never get a flat at all what so ever after that. There just is not any product in the pre-slimed tubes. For over thirty years now the only time I tried to patch a tube was when I caught a nail to the rim. It was not patchable. Other than that scenario I have no use for a patch kit at all!