Shiftkit rear hub compatibility?

GoldenMotor.com

RMch

May 15, 2009
Rhode Island
Here's my problem. Got shifter kit installed. Rode bike halfway around house going easy feathering the clutch and wouldn't you know? No GO! I blew out the cheap freewheel hub that you would probally get on a superstore's completely assembled bike. I was thinking of trying a Shimano XT rear hub, but that's more time relaceing and trueing the wheel without knowing if it would hold up to the task. So I was just wondering what are some good hubs that current shiftkit user's are using?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Just for clarification exactly what kind of hub were you running. Was it an internal gear hub or just a freewheel or cassette gear cluster or just a single speed freewheel?

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
I bought a brand new schwinn mountain bike (a ranger) and it has held up like a champ in all aspects. If yours fell apart I can only imagine you are using an older used bike. I don't know why so many people here are infatuated with used bikes, if you can afford a hudred bucks for a kit, you should at least save up a hundred or so more for a new bike...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I bought a brand new schwinn mountain bike (a ranger) and it has held up like a champ in all aspects. If yours fell apart I can only imagine you are using an older used bike. I don't know why so many people here are infatuated with used bikes, if you can afford a hudred bucks for a kit, you should at least save up a hundred or so more for a new bike...
i take offense to that statement.

i am "infatuated with used bikes."

my 54 year old bike will outlast any bike sold at walmart, or made in china. it was built entirely in the usa, out of heavy-duty parts, and designed by people who cared about bicycles, and the people that bought them. they also look a heck of a lot cooler, and not like a cookie-cutter, mass-produced, piece of junk that ends up with flat tires, selling for 25 bucks at the thrift store 2 years later.

that's the reason these "used bikes" cost more (sometimes thousands more) than your "new schwinn ranger."

granted, not everyone here has a classic, well made bike, but almost all of the people who've bought a bike from walmart know exactly what they're getting. a cheaply made bike, for cheap. they're popular, they get the job done, they're easy to acquire, and it suits their purpose. a lot of people can't afford (in money or time) to restore an old bike, and a lot of people just don't care, they just want something to ride.

and there's nothing wrong with that. people can ride whatever they want. or whatever they can.

i admit, buying a cheaply made used bike that someone else has already broken in, and broken down, isn't the smartest idea either, but don't lump all the "used bikes" in one generalized category.

and all parts can, and will, fail. just look at 99 percent of the threads on this forum. it's all about breakin' stuff, and finding a way to fix it.

note. this is MY opinion. i'm entitled to it as much as you are your's. just try be a little more knowledgeable about yours, before you make a blanket statement about "used bikes."

that's it. i'm trading in my soapbox for a barstool...

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While I fear and wouldn't for a second consider getting a cheaply made AND used bike, I'm on the lookout for a used one of good manufacture. So many of the nice bikes are absolutely ridiculously priced new, I've seen them going for a similar price range as actual dirtbikes...

I just can't warrant that level of investment in a bicycle... at least not all at once lol

Yet give that same bike a year or two sitting in some suburbanite's garage all unloved and forgotten, the owner having failed to realize that no matter the price tag - you still need to pedal and sweat and thus the price drops radically. Heck, most things loose 30% - 50% of their resale value just bringin' em home lol

The only reason I've not bought a nice used bike is I've yet to find one locally that's suitable - which is of course a whole 'nother prob lol $1200 bike for $500? **** yeah! Dangit... shocks are in the wrong place for a motor kit :(

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Here's my problem. Got shifter kit installed. Rode bike halfway around house going easy feathering the clutch and wouldn't you know? No GO! I blew out the cheap freewheel hub that you would probally get on a superstore's completely assembled bike. I was thinking of trying a Shimano XT rear hub, but that's more time relaceing and trueing the wheel without knowing if it would hold up to the task. So I was just wondering what are some good hubs that current shiftkit user's are using?
If it blew just putt-putting around the house - then it would have blew under pedal power sooner rather than later. Do tell what what blew, what exact kind of hub it was, etc.

Most people use a variety of Shimano hubs and derailleur systems with great success.

RMch

May 15, 2009
Rhode Island
BarelyAWake, you said it like you where taking the words right out of my mouth. My mothers from northern Maine. Pablo, your correct to. Brand new wheel and the paws inside skip. On the other hub also. I had two. Cheap hubs no dought. Still looking for a sutable replacment, and thanks for the tip. GhostO, finally got around to looking at the hub. It is cheaply made hub named Modus that came on my cruiser frame non-internal shifting, freewheel cassette hub. What probally happened was the spring that holds the paws in place let go and munched one for breakfast outlined in green marker. No I don't normally go on the cheap for it is what it is, just couldn't get the motor to fit anything else at the time on a budget and the frame it's self is a Schwinn Point Beach, very ridgid and has beefy rear dropouts compared to everything else out there right now. Anyways. Nuvinci hub's are nice, just to expensive for me on a motorized bike. While not knowing what the Federal Gov. is going to do to the two stroke. I would rather run the stock direct drive over the Nuvinci $430.00 price tag. I'm gonna try the Shimano XT. Thanks guys.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited: