Reasons for riding Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I can think of another reason. This applies to bicycles in general. But that includes motorized bicycles.

It's exhilarating to go out and defy any weather that Mother Nature chooses to throw at us. I usually win, too. It's very rare for me to be out riding and thinking, "ooohh....I shouldn't have done this". I don't think it's happened at all for a few years.

There are all sorts of days that I watch my colleagues walking out to their cars almost in tears over the cold rain, the freezing wind, etc. Usually I'm thinking, "Hey! This is all right".

Most of the folks around me have no idea of the feeling of well-being to be found by merely embracing the outdoors whatever it happens to be like that day.

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Having read the whole thread I find one or more of four reasons why people take up this sport:
1) Pleasure
2) Transportation
3) Economy
4) Art--under this rubric I include both aesthetics and the exercise of mechanical ingenuity

The first three of these account for most of my motivation in this area. In other words, it pleases me to get around cheaply whenever I can. I hate dragging a ton and a half of tin with me when I go to the drug store to pick up a pack of AAA batteries.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
It's fun
I'm 16 and too cheap to get insurance for a normal car.
Gas Prices are as high as 1.50 per liter here (I use premium in my bike)
It's fun.

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
Having read the whole thread I find one or more of four reasons why people take up this sport:
1) Pleasure
2) Transportation
3) Economy
4) Art--under this rubric I include both aesthetics and the exercise of mechanical ingenuity

The first three of these account for most of my motivation in this area. In other words, it pleases me to get around cheaply whenever I can. I hate dragging a ton and a half of tin with me when I go to the drug store to pick up a pack of AAA batteries.
.... in a world that seems increasingly less free .... all of the above allow the human spirit to explore ... and express itself through an effort that may parallel an evolving universe ....

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I ride my MB when I tire of pedaling most of the time just to
go a bit further than my old legs can & a bit faster.

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
I ride my MB when I tire of pedaling most of the time just to
go a bit further than my old legs can & a bit faster.
I like that mode of operating. I think I spend too much time cruising around letting the motor do the work. I am going to try helping it out more. What's the point of having pedals otherwise? Might as well get a little scooter.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Considering my age, my legs are getting really strong again,
both of them, the one with the steel rods & the one with two
severed tendons. Injuries are one reason I went to motored bikes.
but pedaling definitely has certain advantages. I'm in much better
shape at 65 than I was at 40. It's been a long road back & I
dumped a few vices along the way. I'm getting to where I ride in
high gear much of the time. 5 years & 5000 mi. ago it was the opposite.
In contrast, I've probably only 1500 motored miles. I shocked myself
today. I looked down at my computer & I was cruising a 16mph.
A year ago my avg spd. pedaling was 7.8 mph.

Last edited:

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Because they have the best features of both bicycles and motorcycles. The engines are interesting in their own right, and you have the simplicity a bicycle as the running gear. And because I'm both a bike and small engine mechanic it satisfies an interest.

I also used to own a 1960's VeloSoleX and I loved it's quiet funkiness and fuel economy. It was the best bike to take on weekend garage sale junkets, even had people think it was there to be sold.

Quadranut

Jun 21, 2009
FDLWisconsin
happy to ride at a stately and serein 24 MPH and the views .............. man the views, at that speed they take forever to go by ............ and for every uphill ride there is a downhill coming up to take the pain away ........... and ........... she can ride on the handlebars

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just me here but I like that you can make your own parts and let's face it, buy really inexpensive parts. Honestly, you can make a less then $200 kit/engine move a junk yard bike way faster then you should. (wear a helmet!)

It is insane that we do this and even crazier that we support each other in taking perfectly good bicycles, strapping motors on them, and if we live, chat about it. It is a crazy 12 year old's dream! Or eight year old's.

But dang! Done right, is so cool!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Support each other, heck yeah!! Sometimes, I think we egg each other on!! :D

(And something amazing usually is the result!)

Last edited:

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Just me here but I like that you can make your own parts and let's face it, buy really inexpensive parts. Honestly, you can make a less then $200 kit/engine move a junk yard bike way faster then you should. (wear a helmet!)

It is insane that we do this and even crazier that we support each other in taking perfectly good bicycles, strapping motors on them, and if we live, chat about it. It is a crazy 12 year old's dream! Or eight year old's.

But dang! Done right, is so cool!
Listen, when I was 12 years old I would have killed for the buzz bike I have now.