shaving in the clutch case

GoldenMotor.com

pechroc1

Sep 4, 2010
flushing,ny
my engine is dying... sounds like crap... and its 3 weeks old. took it apart and found shavings in the clutch case. everything i see looks ok. but there was black dust and some metal shavings caked inside the clutchcase. i dont have a puller tool to get any gears off and i dont know where to get one.please help. has anyone ever had this issue. it seems pretty serious.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
my engine is dying... sounds like crap... and its 3 weeks old. took it apart and found shavings in the clutch case. everything i see looks ok. but there was black dust and some metal shavings caked inside the clutchcase. i dont have a puller tool to get any gears off and i dont know where to get one.please help. has anyone ever had this issue. it seems pretty serious.
One of the many vendors that sell HT tools.
Motorized Bicycles Gas Bike Engines Gas Powered Bikes Motorized Bicycle Parts

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
are there any marks on the inside of the cover where something is rubbing?,,,Have you carefully removed the flower nut w/the clutch locked out and looked for rubbing there?,,,,,can you post pics?

pechroc1

Sep 4, 2010
flushing,ny
are there any marks on the inside of the cover where something is rubbing?,,,Have you carefully removed the flower nut w/the clutch locked out and looked for rubbing there?,,,,,can you post pics?
there was no marks on the cover from this. i had some from a previous experience but thats not the cause now. it appears that the dust is coming from behind the large gear from the ways its caked on the casing. ill post pics in a minute.

the silver metal shavings are minimal but what is this black stuff... i hear that squeaking could be a bearing going down....? i mean the motor was running badly.... terribly!

thanks in advance for any help you offer

Last edited:

pechroc1

Sep 4, 2010
flushing,ny
so i put everthing back together after finding some gouges in the piston right where the exuast manifold...and the same thing happens... i get mediocre power for a minute or two the the thing just boggs out. seems like it gets real hot too.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of motor is it?
red cat? thats what was on the box.

critter382

Sep 21, 2010
auburn,maine
i have shaving in the clutch cover yesterday i was on my way back from work i was coming down a hill at the bottom the clutch did not work i took the cover off and saw shaving in it every thing looked ok i looked at the small sprocket it was out and lose there was no key way in it so i put on back in it well the sprocket would not go all the way back on even with out the key way it would not go all the way on there a hump on the shaft that it prevented it from going all the way on so i thought thats the way it should be so i ran it work is ten miles it worked fine on the way there but on the way home it let lose the key way broke again and broke the bottom part of the houseing not the cover the clutch gears are showing now exposed to weather the small gear still tight so i can ride it but it wont last can any one help me:-||:-||:-||

critter382

Sep 21, 2010
auburn,maine
i have another motor the piston blown could i use half the of the bottom end of it to replace my broken clutch housing same size motor they look she same or do you think ill run in to more problems

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Is it a silver jet motor?
Beats me, I don't see the motor name you mentioned on PistonBikes but as far as I know they are a reputable dealer.

So you have another broken motor too?
You sure don't seem to have any luck with them.
It could be bad luck, poor craftsmanship, or it could be what you are buying.
That I am afraid is up to you to determine on your own.

As far as trying to make one good motor from two dudes, all you have to loose is your time.

critter382

Sep 21, 2010
auburn,maine
ty for ur in put it is a skyhawk 66cc grubee inc. i got it from piston .com the first motor was given to me yes it seem like every time i turn around there is something wrong i do put on a hundred miles a week on it back and forth to work is piston.com a good place for a motor all i need is the motor i have not found any place with just motor other than piston :-||

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i have shaving in the clutch cover yesterday i was on my way back from work i was coming down a hill at the bottom the clutch did not work

i took the cover off and saw shaving in it every thing looked ok

i looked at the small sprocket it was out and lose there was no key way in it so i put on back in it well the sprocket would not go all the way back on even with out the key way it would not go all the way on there a hump on the shaft that it prevented it from going all the way on so i thought thats the way it should be so i ran it work is ten miles it worked fine on the way there but on the way home it let lose the key way broke again and broke the bottom part of the houseing not the cover

the clutch gears are showing now exposed to weather the small gear still tight so i can ride it but it wont last can any one help me
What happened to the flat head screw that holds the small helical gear on?

What was scraping and causing the shavings?

Please upload a few pics of the damage.
Sounds like the casting around the small gear broke which should not affect
anything from working.