The police struck again and went full retard, just not to me.

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
That document only appears to answer a question about a procedure a tax collector used and not an actual law. It's also dated 2011 prior to RS-68 which came into effect in 2014.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I guess the cop would say a moped is still a moped even when it's out of gas and you're on the road peddling it. Some towns are tougher on gas bikes than ebikes but I hear some places require them to be registered also.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Years ago after adjusting the chain I forgot to tighten up my chain tensioner and during my ride my chain tensioner fell apart.

I removed my chain link and then the chain so I could pedal home with no resistance.

I was stopped by a police officer and given a warning that I was going faster than the 20mph speed limit we have here.

I pointed out that I was pedaling and my chain is not even on the bike. The officer said as long as a motor is mounted to the bike, it is not a bicycle but a motorized bicycle and I must obey the motorized bicycle laws and not bicycle laws.

I did not think it was right but he explained it this way...

If you were driving your car and ran out of gas on top of a hill. And the speed limit for that road was 30mph. If you were to coast down that the hill in neutral with your engine off and went 40mph. You would still be speeding even if your car was not running.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Here in Nevada, you need a class M license to drive anything over 49cc, which requires a class C, or your common license. However, over 49ccs, you must have the proper required safety equipment, including rearview mirrors, headlights, and taillights. Braking and turning may be signaled by hand. I was pulled over by a cop, asked how big the engine was, and I don't lie when asked, so I said 66cc. He said, "Well that's cool. Just go get it registered as soon as you can. It's a motor vehicle, regardless of what the engine is on." Pretty cool experience in my book. He also asked what my fuel economy was and how fast I could go, which was, at the time, 33mph and 100mpg. He also commented on how much of a genius I had to be to do something like this, and I'm just like ... what? Anybody can do this. It's bolt on easy.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Here in Nevada, you need a class M license to drive anything over 49cc.
(Cop) also commented on how much of a genius I had to be to do something like this, and I'm just like ... what? Anybody can do this. It's bolt on easy.
Cool story ;-}

AZ is 48cc @20mph, with 49cc in NV these 4-stroke shifters are legal there!

It's not like any DA here in Phoenix would bring charges for being 1cc over the limit, but legal for you with little hassle other than they can go 40+mph.