Engine still bogging down

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 16, 2016
america
I posted a while ago that my new engine was bogging down if I tried to rev from idle. We came to a consensus that it was still breaking in and to wait it out. I've gone through around 2 gallons of gas at 30:1 and it behaves the exact same way. I'm almost out of this tank and I'm not sure if I should go to my normal 50:1 for the next tank or stick with the 30:1 since it still seems to be breaking in. Can running a higher oil ratio bog it down? Could it already be broken in and the bogging be a product of too much oil? Everything else like fuel air ratio seems fine, spark plug is chocolaty brown. Thanks for any help.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Bogging is a sign that it's too lean. Move the e-clip down a notch or 2 and see if it helps. Also, check for intake leaks. Spray some wd-40 on the intake, you'll know when you find a leak.
Otherwise, I'll walk you through re-jetting the carb.

Mar 16, 2016
america
Turns out I either had a leak in my janky homemade copper intake or the carb was at too much of an angle and the bowl wasn't working properly. I switched to a flexible tube so i could clear the frame and it revs great now. It likes to stay revving for a few seconds after i let go of the throttle though and right after I pull the clutch in and it doesn't have any resistance. Any idea what that is?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
could be clogged air filter making it suck on the bowl. or perhaps a float level too high, but you might want to just give the motor a bit more time to run in if it is OK otherwise

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Intake leak huh? Who would have thought!

Try lubricating the throttle cable. Use a thin oil or dry lubricant like graphite dust. Mine stays revved up for a little after releasing the throttle as well. I never really thought about it though.

Mar 16, 2016
america
Right? lol High idle was just the clip needing adjusting because of the added intake length. The c-clip is on the bottom notch now and she runs like a dream.