53mph Raptor Build

GoldenMotor.com

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Well, I broke my front caliper. The brake caliper broke by the screw mouthing holes. I ordered a new brake and some other adapters to take the side stress off. I'll see how well it does before spending money on some better brakes.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Here's a pic of the group of mountain bikers I rode with last week. I was the only Ebiker ofcourse. They took 4 breaks or so and I was barely breaking a sweat. Was a fun technical ride. The leader of the group build up my front wheel and works at the Bike Barn near my house.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Here's a pic of the group of mountain bikers I rode with last week. I was the only Ebiker ofcourse. They took 4 breaks or so and I was barely breaking a sweat. Was a fun technical ride. The leader of the group build up my front wheel and works at the Bike Barn near my house.

I know the feeling lol.

That's a great bike you built. I think I remember reading about those frames on es. They're said to be hard to get. The swingarm resembles the one on HPC Revolution bike, and the way the BB fits on the fame looks similar. The frame kind of looks like my Stealth too.

I wish I knew half as much as you about controllers, and battery's. My bike has a CA3 also.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
How do you like your Crazy Bob E tires? I almost bought a set because i like their thread design but the widest size is a 2.35.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
The Crazy bobs are listed as ebike tires and can carry a heavy load. I'm not scared of having a high speed blowout with them. I even offroad with the Bob's. They are like balloon tires. They get pretty wide when you put them in 46mm wheel.

The Michelin Pilot sports that I have on my other fast ebike, lets' you take corners at higher speeds vs the Bob's. But they can't take a load like the Bob's. The new Michelin Pilot sports are rated for Ebike use, but currently only available for the European market. I asked Michelin about it and was bummed out on that news.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Some small updates.

I reprogrammed the controller and got some more torque. Seems a bit too much for my taste, so I'll drop it down a notch. I also reconfigured my little white toggle switch to be a current limiter vs a power limiter. The current limiter is smoother in behaviour.

I did get me the new bicycle seat assembly. The new version is made for short peeps like me. My inner thighs don't rub on the assembly anymore. It also lays a bit lower vs the old one.

The new one is on the left

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So what's the fastest speed you can keep up pedaling. I can pedal at 50 mph in 9th gear, but the cadence is very very fast. I find it fun to pedal at 35 to 40 mph.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I made my bike to pedal at 20 mph max for the trails. I don't pedal at high speeds with the Raptor. My other ebikes I can pedal along at 30 something mph. A schlumpf high speed drive can be fitted, but that almost a grand after I'm done fitting it in. I rather spend a grand on batteries instead.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I made my bike to pedal at 20 mph max for the trails. I don't pedal at high speeds with the Raptor. My other ebikes I can pedal along at 30 something mph. A schlumpf high speed drive can be fitted, but that almost a grand after I'm not fitting it in. I rather spend a grand on batteries instead.
I just want to mention, because it's new to me, and maybe not apparent to everyone, but pedaling at 45 mph is a gas.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Messed around with the bike today. Swapped shocks and springs along with a new brake mount for more clearance.

Swapping springs. New spring is 400lbs. Left spring is 300lbs Titanium, center is 350lbs and right spring is 400lbs.

I just hang the bike when I work on the shock or drive train.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Swapping springs. New spring is 400lbs. Left spring is 300lbs Titanium, center is 350lbs and right spring is 400lbs.

[/IMG][/URL]
I'm wondering about your spring weight. Your bikes shock ,and swing arm geometry looks similar to mine. My spring is 750 lbs. I wonder why your spring is so much lighter then mine?

I've been thinking since I got my bike that I'd like to lower it a couple of inches. I may buy a shorter shock and slide the forks up in the trees a little someday. I don't want to get it so low that the pedals would strike, but it's so high up now I think I could give up an inch or two.