acceleration/ gaskets/general discussion

GoldenMotor.com

Beansgotanewbike

Mar 25, 2013
illinois
Hi everyone..if i havent already talked to ya my name is bean.. so, short story short i ran into some issues with my wonderful bike while riding one day to work and found a host of problems as i am a first-engine owner and will admit that i am a little slacky when it comes to monthly inspections(besides the ol check the screws, nuts etc). i have a 66/80 flyin horse from bikeberry and its got over 300 miles on it easy..so i realize one day that i have no acceleration over 5 mph at WOT..cleaned petcock(paint chips, even got a new one), got a new filter, took carb apart checked it out(thanks to all of you guys input) and seems pretty clean... so i start her up for five mins and lo and behold i look down and see a little leak from the bottom gasket on the cylinder..changed it out and sealed it up (and the carb intake pipe) and i thought i was ready to go....doin the same...i inspected the bottom of the motor casing and it looks like its leaking out of the screw hole or thereabouts..my first guess is the crankcase gasket or the other 8 i can see around on top of the motor(joke)..any suggestions? reason im asking is pedal or motor is how i get to work..its cold and the wind blows against me every day on way home..pedaling sucks when it feels like your riding a stationary bike on the road..haha after alot of frustration i had to look up a lot of posts and threads to get alot of answers..if i fill my head up with any more knowledge i minds well get a degreelaff oh and i found a thread or post with pics of an exhaust being taken apart(not the black cat pipe, but the silver one) and i cant find it after reading my brains out so if anyone knows i would be thankful.. thanks mr.bean

Beansgotanewbike

Mar 25, 2013
illinois
so, i cleaned up the motor..started her back up and it looks like its leaking out of one of my crankcase bolts(the one on bottom of casing not too far away from the two next to the front motor mount).. while i had it idling i did Fat Daddys water trick( props to you FAT DADDY) and hit both port gaskets, base gasket, and the bottom of the motor where i suspect the gasket blew out and it doesnt kill the motor.. now i also cant see as much oil but still see a little inside the bolt hole..before i go to taking it all apart to look at the gaskets my question is this...what else can i look at to narrow it down? i cleaned cap on my exhaust but havent figured out how to get the innards out to clean it without havin to cut something apart and weld it . another thing i havent done is try to lean out my mixture in my carb by messing with that tab cause i wasnt sure if the carbs the problem and thus didnt want to mess up a perfectly working part.. any suggestions? Thanks alot for your time and input....GREATLY APPRECIATED

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
I'd try running it with the muffler loose or with it removed completely (try not to bother your neighbors with all the noise tho).

Meanwhile, did you find any loose case screws? If so, you might consider pulling the clutch, etc, off so that you can check and tighten all of the case screws properly.

Here's a link to Norman's excellent 2 cycle Chinese bicycle engine tear-down guide:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=391

Beansgotanewbike

Mar 25, 2013
illinois
thanks alot fmb..i did take off my exhaust and it reved outta control right after the base gasket and found that leak underneath.. one screw wasnt loose(haha)where i saw the leak but the other two on the outside were just snug. i guess il go back out there and check er out.. thanks alot for the link buddy, cause searchin for that particular thread i end up gettin sidetracked reading everything else