New fork

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Have you seen the new mountain bike front fork? It is from Lauf and has leaf springs and is very light ,,,,,,,,,980 grams. Strong and light and easy ride. Really good. gphil

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
getting really tired of having to use stupidly-over-lightened bicycle parts on these things - once you go to a motor, you want big beefy parts

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
60mm of travel isn't enough to be worthwhile, most super cheap off road forks start at 80 and 100 up is now common. That thing has a phenominal amount of leverage acting on those "spring stacks" internally and no ability for rebound damping. I'm all for improving designs of things, but that's a solution looking for a problem. I like my teeth too much to risk a fork.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Agree with you guys just thought you would like to see something different. Question is if a bad design how can it be marketed to such a wide open sport? Might be more than meets the eye. gphil

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Question is if a bad design how can it be marketed to such a wide open sport?
Becasue they don't exist yet in production. Classic marketing, drum up buzz before it's actually a reality. A lot of concepts like this get created and then don't ever see the light of day in production. But if you don't drum up interest before you've got the thing it takes longer to recoup your investment. It's entirely possible that after filming that video, the fork fell to bits and is currently being redesigned. It's also possible that it's the best thing that has ever happened to forks, and I'll be eating crow next year when we're all riding them. But right now it's vaporware, so all we can do is speculate :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
some people are always trying to reinvent the wheel and do something different just for the sake of being different, I'm sure that concept has been tried many many years ago and the reason we don't see it in mass production today is because it simply isn't any good, it would be much cheaper to build suspension with leaf springs than a tube type shock absorber suspension.

Looks like something I would call kinda neat, but kinda butt ugly at the same time and not a good design at all IMHO.

Thanks for sharing the link gphil never seen that one before and it was interesting.

Map
reddd

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
you know I applaud new devices ...

for pedaling- yeah it might work or be cool but for an engined motorized bicycle

no way - stronger is better and a sense of security when you are buzzing down the road
really matters to me