Chain caught in engine/sprocket housing

GoldenMotor.com

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
:-||What's up Fam,

Ok... I've replaced 2 chains within the first 500 mi of me riding my bike.
As the chain stretches, even slightly. It's getting caught inbetween the sproket and the engine casing the upper left hand side. Upon trying to fix this chain yesterday, the chain break tool broke. Questions.....

First,
Am I using the wrong chain?
This is my chain.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CYPWHZK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is my Masterlink
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDAB5DA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Second
If I decide to dremel/file away the bolt that the chain is getting caught on, will the clutch arm fall out of place? Is ther a better solution?

Thanks you guys for your help, and patience.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Two things will cause your problem. Chain too loose or misalignment.
How tight is your chain? You'll want to have 1/2" to 3/4" slack in the chain. To measure this slack leave the clutch engaged and roll the bike forward until the piston goes into the compression stroke. The top chain run will then go slack. That's where you measure the chain tension.

If the chain is being pulled off to either side due to misalignment with the rear sprocket that can also cause the chain to run against the engine case.

The master link snap retainer should be installed so the closed end enters the engine sprocket as the bike moves forward. Having the open end first can cause it to snag and be popped off insude the clutch actuator cover.
There should be no need to grind the cover where you indicate the chain is hitting.
There usually is chain interfernece inside the cover. There is a thread on that that I'll post a link to. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=6682

Good luck,

Tom

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
I appreciate it Tom.

I read the post you linked, and it makes sense. I also have an issue with the rear engine mount. This might cause the misalignment. As long as I've been able to ride the bike. It's been amazing. This "drivetrain" issue has been the achillies heel so far.

Looking forward to getting this fixed this week.

Thanks again
Krealitygroupbrnot

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
what he said... ^

also, sometimes the 415 chains don't fit. the kmc 415hd chain doesn't fit on some grubee gt5's i've had.

the "pitch" is slightly off so when it wraps around the sprocket the links don't all fall onto the gear. it's like the spacing between links is just slightly less than the spacing of the teeth.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've seen some front sprockets that had too square a profile at the tips of the teeth and the chain would not fully engage it. Rounding the tips of the teeth with a grinder fixed it.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
what he said... ^

also, sometimes the 415 chains don't fit. the kmc 415hd chain doesn't fit on some grubee gt5's i've had.

the "pitch" is slightly off so when it wraps around the sprocket the links don't all fall onto the gear. it's like the spacing between links is just slightly less than the spacing of the teeth.
I think this might be the problem. I just got a 415 master link. So I'll give this chain one more shot once it's properly shortened. After that, I'm trying 410