Safety running WOT (i'm scared)

GoldenMotor.com

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
Hey guys. I have a grubee 66cc engine, an X chamber tuned to top-end, an NT carb, and a stock sprocket on a micargi bicycle. I cruise just fine at 20-25mph with no vibrations (how I ride everywhere). Then I get more and more vibration as I climb speed and the chamber kicks in. I top off at 40mph (clocked @ 39 mph on those speed signs) and the revs sound so high and there's so much vibration. I personally don't care about the vibration but everything just sounds scary like somethings going to break. Is it safe to ride for longer periods at this speed or is it just going to destroy the bike somehow? I'm worried about my safety. Thank you :)

notes: The bike is stable, wheels have almost no play left and right, chain is tight with 1/2 play and proffessionally aligned, no fenders on bike.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
It's mostly the vibration that will scare the crap out of you. It will make you think your feet aren't on the pedals and that your hands aren't gripping the bars.

It's scary as hel1 but exhilarating at the same time. Just be aware of what your bike is doing. I doubt your bike is as loud as mine, so you should be able to hear what's going on much better. I have to feel it. lol

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Running a ht at high rpm's constantly is a good way to explore the wonderful world of broken engine parts.
It's not a superbike dude...ride it like one and sorrow awaits.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
So, you are blazing down the road at 40 with hopped up cheap China motor on a cheap China bike and the vibration is really bad?

And you are scared?

I would be too.

That's why I don't ride like that - :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's not a motorcycle. It is a motorized bicycle. Ride it like one.
If the vibrations scare you at top end then don't go there. Ride in the comfort range, not in a condition where it becomes a source of discomfort. 20 to 25 is about right for one of these bikes. 40 is pushing the limits and it can and will do things that won't be fun. And fun is what this hobby is all about. Not keeping up with traffic.

Tom

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
Ok message received. I should probably adjust my X chamber to a lower power band then. Seriously though as soon as I hit ~30-35 I go flying. That chamber throws me back lol. I was just concerned about the engine/bike breaking and me falling off or taking a grenade to the groin and legs. By the way I use this bike as a means of transportation, not for fun. I ride 16 miles round trip to work 4 days a week.

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
Oh just to clarify, I cruise at 20-25mph. I only use WOT every now and then for a few seconds at top speed before I get scared and slow down lol. Bike is way to fast for me (or at least just not "sound" enough).

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
All my bikes are geared to cruise comfortably between 28-32 mph, WOT they all hit close to 40 one has gps' s 42mph but the other two are about 37mph WOT.

Biggest sprocket I run is a 36T, when I ride to my work its 32miles round trip and I run the bike at a consistant 30-32mph.
They wont all hold up to that and none will for a long time probably but all three of mine have between 800 & 2000miles on them, all BoyGoFast engines but they have pretty good amount of vibes past 34mph.

I agree with everyone here that has said find the comfort zone of the engine before the vi es get crazy and do most of your riding at that point or below, your engine will likely hold together longer that way.

Best wishes and keep the rubber side down.
Map
reddd

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
How long have you been riding it?
I've had it since late May. I want to say it's got around 400 miles on it. Actually... Would a smaller sprocket size help? That way I could cruise comfortably at 30 with lower revs couldnt I? And I could just tune my X chamber to help out in the low end to make up for the sprocket size. Is this correct?

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I've had it since late May. I want to say it's got around 400 miles on it. Actually... Would a smaller sprocket size help? That way I could cruise comfortably at 30 with lower revs couldnt I? And I could just tune my X chamber to help out in the low end to make up for the sprocket size. Is this correct?
Smaller sprocket would help to bring the revs down, then you could adjust your carb and exhaust for the lack of acceleration. What size sprocket do you have now? 44t?