motorized bike review after 1000 miles

GoldenMotor.com

Thunderhead289

Jul 2, 2013
an iowa corn field
well I just hit 1000 miles on my stock equipment. I did not replace a single thing. I made a video explain how I did this and what steps I took to keep it in good running order.
I did forget to mention that I put some grease on the gear drive every 100 miles which is very important.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETPhnUNUCJo
I also have a in depth boost bottle review on my youtube page.
thunderhead289 youtube

one of my most favorite things I have ever built to date

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A nice little video report-

and a nasty fall at the end! I'm assuming you're OK.

I have had good luck with my bikes- it'll be four years this Spring since the first- Don't have quite 1000 on that one- 250 miles or something on the speedo I put on a couple of years back- but I ride the second one- the 50 much more-estimate close to 3000 on the motor

never had to tear the first one apart at all cept to put in sound dampeners- and I do put grease on the gears.

just had some bottom end troubles on the 50- and apparently the small gear somehow got a bit bent- a new one seems to have the bottom still rotating, but never got it apart into the main gears or flywheel-

I started thinking though about how one could occassionaly get some lubrication on the main bearings and lower crank bearing- it was easy with the jug off and the assembly really loosened up over it-

any time I may have a jug off, I'm definitely gonna be out to flush and lube the bottom crankcase.

there's a newer motor on the bike now though-

Could one get some oil occasionally through a port if the piston were clear?
I wonder if it would even be possible to have a slight bit of oil in the bottom of the case, like a 4 cycle?

I wonder if anyone has ever tried this or if there has been discussion of this.

the top cylinderr stuff is fairly easy to replace, especially once you know it, but the motor's life is really then in the bottom end, a much harder unit to service

anyway, good luck with the bike. They are a nice piece of transportation and save me a lot of car use.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Nice build, pretty good advise on how to keep your bike running well for a long time. Lubing the pinion gear, and getting the jetting right, like you suggest is good advise for a nube. So is keeping the revs down. It's obvious you know what you're doing.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I run WOT on all my bikes all the time, many miles actually way over 1000 with no failures on any of the three I have right now, I blame most of my success on not doing things fancy just doing them right and making sure things stay secure, my bikes stay filthy with dust and dirt all the time, they might get rinsed off once a year maybe, I use dry film lube or maxima chain wax on my chains and as you have said I also clean them ever now and then with a heathly spray of cleaner, I use brake cleaner and when chain dries I relube it.
more fuel = the cooler it will run to an extent, fuel and of coarse cooler air passing over engine is what cools the internals and externals of a 2 stroke, well tuned carb, high quality oil mix and good exhaust is key to a good running long lasting engine if the engine isn't a lemon from the get go, best of luck with your builds and glad this one has worked out so well for U.

Map

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
great video! you have the same clutch lever as me and i will agree that that clutch lever is much better than the factory one. the factory one can slowly grind against the metal peice and in time the clutch will not beable to hold the idle if that makes any sense. with the clutch lever you have, u have notches which i really like