gears

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I had my 66cc engine for over a year now. I might have greased the gears 2 or 3 times the whole time i had it. i dont know if thats good or bad lol, but doesnt seem to be causing any issues. another engine that i had i accidentally put a bit too much grease on the gears once and the clutch slipped very badly.

neds1967

Jul 27, 2012
canada
Thank you for getting back to me this sight is great what king of grease to you recommend thank you to all againxct2

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Any grease is better than no grease. Wheel bearing grease works good. I do mine all the time. About every 200 miles. Don't use too much. A little dab will do you. If the pinion gear gets dry it wears out pretty fast.

vsavoldi

Jul 24, 2012
Monterey Bay California
I am a fan of dry silicone spray or lube, you have to apply it more often but it does not collect dirt, dust and grit.

Walmart has tubes of silicone and wax products that work great for chains.

Either will do you fine.

If using grease...
Wheel bearing grease is a little thicker and will not want to fly off the gears as fast as some of the other (slicker) greases.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dry silicone lube is not enough lubrication for the gears. You really need something a bit more like grease. As was warned above, not too much. A "Q-Tip works well for applying it and you don't need more than a 'Q-Tip will hold. Spread it evenly over the gears.

Dry silicone has its uses but not for gear lubrication.

Tom