Thinking about a bumble bee

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
If I were you I'd find a nice garage sale or thrift store steel framed bike and build on that...you'd kick yourself if you found out something simple was wrong with that e-bike...just my 2 cents.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
It just occured to me... The hub brake in the back rules out the chain drive idea. So I guess it's friction or fix the electronics on it. Anyone have one to sell? Id like to try used if I can.
I cant tell for sure because the picture doesnt show that side of the bike, but isnt that a coaster brake? do you pedal backwards to brake? if so, you can still install a chain drive. coaster brakes are common on beach cruisers, and many members here like to put ht kits on cruisers, myself included. its (usually) a simple matter of removing the coaster brake arm, installing the sprocket, and re-attaching the coaster brake arm. some hubs are wider than what the sprocket can fit over, in which case you have two options. make the hole in the sprocket wider, or get a wheel with a smaller hub. you can probably replace that rear wheel if needed with a wheel that has a different type of hub for not too much money. now, fitting a china girl on that frame is going to be a little tricky. there ied to be a website where they sold rack mounts for ht engines, but i can not find it, most likely because i cant remember the exact name of it. perhaps someone else here does.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I called bumble bee today. My questions were answered somewhat....I forgot to ask a few. I have a crusier that I would be a good candidate for a bee. Which is what my intention was in the first place before I started hanging out with you guys and getting ideas in my head.:) Here's the crusier:

I'm just going to the coffee shop and maybe the market. I don't need a ton of power or speed. Maybe the bee is right for me. In the end for me its just a toy. I like that it's small, easily removable and inexpensive. I can pedal up any hill if I need to. I'm still deciding. I'll keep you guys posted. Meanwhile, I'm getting a tester for my ebike to see if it's the throttle or the hall sensor or whatever. I'll keep you posted on that too.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Thanks, it's my first restoration. It was ok before, just ugly. It's a 1981 Murray moterey. I had no idea they were still making crusiers in '81. I thought it was all 10 speeds and BMX by then. I put a shinamo nexus 3 speed on it. It rides smooth as butter. Only problem is the pedals are a little narrow for my feet. But then again why pedal once I have an engine on it. :)

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Well, I went and done it. At the end of the day, portability and affordability won over power. I'm not commuting with it, just tootin' around the neighborhood. I would love to commute to work but I work 3p to 1a and I'd have to go through some dangerous areas to get home.
I will give you all a full report once I get it up and running. Thanks for all your help!
Anybody want a non running electric?

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Hot dog! It's on it's way! Speaking of slower friction bikes....I believe I saw a amf roadmaster moped today. Going down what used to be route 66 without a helmet (perfectly legal in Missouri, but not very smart).

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
I like to tell people go with whatever you can afford cause in the long run any money spent on a MB is money saved. If you weigh over 200 LBS like I do I doubt that BB is gonna cut it. Hills are hard enough with a 50cc bike. The BB is 26cc and is sold in Florida (it's flatter than Texas there) here's their web site if ya want to read up on them they have testimonials ect. http://bumblebeebolton.com/
i weigh 250 and the bumblebeebolton works great for me!