Wireless Speedometer?

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I was looking for a speedo for my Staton powered MTB. I was looking at wireless as it has a suspension fork and I hate wires hanging around moving parts. Found VDO, Cateye, and a ton a Chinese sellers who can't spell.

Have any of you had experience? One that still works?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
GB,

My experience with 'wireless' wasn't good but I run frame mount 2 strokes. Their ignition systems are notorious for producing some 'dirty' RF that makes the wireless speedos go nuts. In your case only experimentation will answer your question.
What I can say is that when my engines were not running the wireless device performed well and it was a cheap-o Wally World Bell item.

Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've had a Cateye Commuter wireless for almost 2 years, it works great except in front of AutoZones and some RR crossings in Cali.

It's also quite expensive, I don't recommend it because of the price. I've also used a Trek Incite 8i for 4 years, always worked well.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've had a Cateye Commuter wireless for almost 2 years, it works great except in front of AutoZones and some RR crossings in Cali.

It's also quite expensive, I don't recommend it because of the price. I've also used a Trek Incite 8i for 4 years, always worked well.
That's on your 4 strokes though, right?

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I have 4 bikes. Two FD 2-strokes and two GXH50/EZM. I haven't got my felt finished but it will have a Trail Tech Vapor panel. My moms old Schwinn/Solex clone has cable/analog "Schwinn" speedo and it's OK and it belongs on it. My straightbar Panther has a cable/analog SW that works better than the Schwinn part.
My MTB has a Tanaka/Staton FD. Don't know about it throwing RF but at least it's farther away than the HTs are.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
My Cateye Commuter is on my 4-stroke, yes. Like any wireless device it's susceptible to interference.

My Trek Incite 8i was used on my red bike in album. I rode it from 2006-2008 with 3 chinagirls, then used it on 2 other bikes with 2 more. The speedo is beat up, so I put it in my toolbox in 2010, but it always worked great. Probably still would with a new battery. I always ran a $5 Radio Shack clamp-on plug wire noise isolator on the 2-strokes and the speedometer would work fine as long there was no other interference :D

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Thanks everyone.
After reading the Aleman's last post, I went on line and found a NIB Trek Insite 8i for $28 including shipping and ordered it even though it was probably without warrentee.

I'm kind of a fussy guy when it comes to cables and wires and have been known to spend weeks on my cars hiding wires. On one car I installed an expensive waterpump with built in alternator . http://racemate.com/alt_about.html. I pulled the engine, drilled the front and back lifter galley walls and installed a tube running completely through the engine to hide the wires from the alternator. OCD is not just the name of a bike.