Is it ok to use regular 2 stroke?

GoldenMotor.com

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
I need to know if it is OK to use regular 2 stroke oil over synthetic or high quality 2 stroke oil. My bike is running on 16:1 with regular 2 stroke oil.

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
It's ok to use regular but it smokes and builds up more carbon. 16 to 1 is to much oil for your engine, even for breakin. Your going to have oil dripping out your exhaust. I use 40 to 1.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I used to run "exotic" oils in my bikes. Was a huge fan of opti2 and it's 100:1, smokeless benefits.

Works amazing on my street bikes, but my racebikes would eat pistons with it.

Now I run whatever crap pepboys sells, at approximately 36:1, 'cause I like the stinky, smokey, oily mess it leaves.

That's what two strokes are all about.

I do run a castor-based oil in my race bike at about 25:1, just because I want to finish, and smoke out the guys behind me.

Reactions: wildwood

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I use Klotz Benol at 32:1, never changed it from 32:1. Even during break in, my engine has been running great for 3 years now without a problem. When I grew up we still didn't mix the gas to rich during the break in on the dirt bikes. IMO, it's an unnecessary waste of oil. Just for the first few tanks don't beat the sh!t out of the bike and the rings should seal fine. You could go leaner for more power like 40:1 or even 50:1 after the rings seal, but it seems like 32:1 keeps the engine running longer after you get it jetted properly.

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
This is the china 80cc bike kit. The manual says to use 20:1 but everyone says you can go leaner. I'm just not convinced that it is safe for the engine.

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
I don't even break in my engines. I run them hard! I often run them for the first time at the race track. You do what you want and good luck.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
You have to find your comfort zone. But, as stated, 16:1 is way too much oil for these engines (they were designed in less advanced areas of the world that may not have access to the high grade lubricants available here).

Broke mine in at 32:1. Have been running 50:1 for 4 years now --- same Echo oil/gas mix I use in my weed whacker, which is starting its 12th season.

Best of luck in your adventures!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
The 16:1 mix in the instructions is a hold-over from the russian built engines from the 50's that China copied. They used 30w motor oil back then.

The chinese probably figure if you run that much oil, it won't seize for at least the 30 day warranty.

There's probably 500 (and 1) threads posted here about engine break-in and proper mix.

It's always the same "answers," but from different people over the last ten+ years.

Most people agree. Screw the break-in babying. Run whatever mixture you plan on running until the damn thing breaks.

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
i run husqvarna synthetic "blend" at 32:1 best of both worlds.
has built in fuel stabilizer.
honda moly paste on my gears

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I use plain old 2 stroke oil 4 oz to the gallon. 32/1
I don't see much smoke at all, and I like the smell.
I tried the opti 100/1 deal and it didn't blend with my gas right or something, nearly seized my engine going around the block.
That expensive stuff is still out there on the shelf, I use it for assembly and any other way I can find, just not in my gas.
16/1 was for peasants running 30 weight motor oil in Asia.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I like the Briggs and Stratton two stroke oil. Ashless, low smoke, low smell, low mess, plus their 32oz bottles have an easy measure chamber at the top, so all you have to do is squeeze the bottle and you get your oil measurement. I'm currently running almost 50:1, which is perfect for all around use. I broke my engine in at about 24:1.

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Run the magic number 32:1...... that's the tried and true gasoline to 2 stroke oil mixture. Nuff' said.
I was running 24/1 per instructions from the motor guy I got it from, but the plug was getting slimed with too much oil.
At 32/1 it doesn't, the engine gets plenty of lube, runs cool and shows no signs of wear.
The old school 2 stroke oil is also cheaper. Cheap engine, cheap oil, cheap everthang for the win.
If your air/fuel mixture is off by just a hair, it can be adjusted by changing the oil content. A little too rich? Add more oil.
Too lean? A bit less oil.
The added oil displaces gasoline through the jet.

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
I use Pennzoil 2 stroke boat motor oil in all of my engines and have never had a problem. It's cheap by the gallon, it smokes very little and it burns completely. If only I had the same luck with gasohol.brnot
If it aint smoking, it's broken.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I used to run Opti-2 @ 100:1 in my Tanaka and GP460 engines. Now I run whatever's on my shelf at 50:1.

No oil drip at the tailpipe.

mikadonovan

Oct 18, 2016
Anderson IN
Been using Walmart brand full synthetic 2 cycle oil from the get go, 20 to 1 mix the first 100 mile, and 32 to 1 thereafter. The machine runs excellent with very little smoke, plug color is perfect and the top of my piston is acceptably clean. I'm sold on this setup.