Where to place fiberglass in Stock Muffler

GoldenMotor.com

Roda Power

Aug 27, 2009
Indonesia
Hi All,

I have a 2-stroke Grubee 48cc engine and I want to keep my muffler more quiet (neighbor complaining). Will fiberglass dentent (sp)/quiet the sound from the engine?

I bought some fiberglass and I do not know where to place the fiber glass in the muffler. Do I place the fiberglass inside the cylinder only or around the baffle. Please see photo attached.

Btw, will the performance of the bike will be slightly slower by adding fiberglass to the muffler?

Thanks for reading my enquiry.

Roda
.wee.

Attachments

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I dont know if its the right way to do it but i used cotton insulation i got from my local motorbike shop but class works as good, i cut the full length of the centre section and rolled it severaltimes so its really thick i also wraped some wire around it to hold it so when you stuff it back in it doesnt move.
My muffler is different from the muffler pictured, mine i lenthened the centre section about 3 inchs and made a new perforated tube for the cotton to wrap around and its super quiet.

the origional can and an off cut of the tube i made

After, since this shot i welded the front cap on.

Last edited:

Roda Power

Aug 27, 2009
Indonesia
stv1jzgte,

Thanks for your recommendation. I will give it a try. I like the idea wrapping cotton around a wire to prevent the cotton from moving.

Kevin

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I've used copper frying pan or pot scrubber pads like "chore girl" and
it won't burn out. it works great. Just stuff it around and into the
muffler!

Roda Power

Aug 27, 2009
Indonesia
Outrunner,

Thanks for your suggestion. Sound like 'steelwool" or your recommedation using copper frying pan scrub pads will perform better than fiberglass.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i know people that use steel wool in there motorcycle exausts ( i,m talking the very fine steel wool usually has the blue soap powder in it ) they say it works awsome , but it only lasts a little while before it burns up . i would try outrunners suggestion of the copper pads . i would think it would last longer

Jesse Marshall

Jan 31, 2017
New York
I tired the fiber glass just a little bit and it worked to reduce the sound acceleration is a bit slower but with the boost bottles I have it's totally alright.

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
threads over 7yrs old. stock new mufflers are built different than in the pics shown.