Like! Thanks!

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think having a disagree button could get out of hand. Its pretty hard to abuse the "thanks" button in a way that will upset anybody. A Disagree button on the other hand.......see where I'm going with this?

Mar 31, 2013
RI
I think having a disagree button could get out of hand. Its pretty hard to abuse the "thanks" button in a way that will upset anybody. A Disagree button on the other hand.......see where I'm going with this?
...this is one of those posts where i would rather have just had the option to quietly disagree with you rather than have to explain my disagreement and risk you misunderstanding my typed words.

...stifling ALL hints at disagreement is, in my opinion, unhealthy. ...it's in the discussion of our disagreements that we find a mutually agreeable middle ground.

and i personally prefer a 'disagree' option rather than a 'dislike' option as disLIKE seems a more personal way of looking at it while disagreement is, or should be, a more neutral position.

...i just thought having both options would allow the membership the option to quietly weigh in on any posts they wanted to agree or disagree with and it could also serve as a tool for any new members as they scanned through older threads and see how much of the membership either agrees or disagrees with a given post.

...and really, how could it be abused? ...you'd only get the option to agree or disagree once and each member would have the same option and no more, so if a post had many members tagging a post with 'disagree' then there is a good chance that that particular post is disagreeable.

...personally, i believe we should all be forced to stand by our words rather than be protected by mods who, in an honest effort to keep the peace, end up censoring the site and protecting fools from the idiocy of the words they type and post.

...i think it better that we ALL learn to moderate our own behavior rather than have the ability to behave like fools knowing that the mods will delete the evidence of our idiocy.

...i guess you could say it's the libertarian in me and it's just my opinion and not meant to insult anyone or even to say my way is better, just that this is the way i see it, it's just my two cents worth and no more.

peace, bozo

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm not insulted. In fact in some ways I completely agree. I just think that some people would hit the disagree button on every post they don't like, whether or not they have a good reason. I also think that some people might tend to get upset to see people disagree with their posts without any explanation being offered. There are times that quiet disagreement is better, but how it is perceived may be the biggest hurdle. And I do feel that there are times that I think posts should be removed if they are disrespectful or dangerously inaccurate (like the kind of bad advice that could get someone hurt or worse). Maybe we shouldn't be protected from our own ignorance, but there are many times I wish to be protected from the ignorance of others.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
I'm not insulted.
...yeah, i wasn't suggesting you specifically would be insulted by my carefully thought out post, ...i was just using my own post as an example of a situation that a simple pressing of a 'disagree' button might be less open to interpretation and therefore misunderstanding.

In fact in some ways I completely agree. I just think that some people would hit the disagree button on every post they don't like, whether or not they have a good reason.
...what harm would that do? ...it wouldn't mean much of anything unless other members also disagreed, in fact multiple 'disagree's' from many members would be a good way for new members to evaluate the value of the advice contained within a particular post, if it makes sense many members would tag a post with 'agree' and if it didn't make sense then the membership would tag a post with many 'disagree's.

...and so, so what if a particular member is so childish that they tag every single post with a 'disagree'? ...that would only reflect on them and demonstrate their own lack of maturity.

...the fact that your choice to 'agree' or 'disagree' isn't anonymous would also inhibit this tendency as well.

I also think that some people might tend to get upset to see people disagree with their posts without any explanation being offered.
...well, frankly, if someone is that thin skinned then, again, that is on them and would only demonstrate a lack of maturity, ...there are many who disagree with me and even some who dislike me and i, as a grown adult, need to be thick skinned enough to not be offended every time someone might disagree with me.

There are times that quiet disagreement is better, but how it is perceived may be the biggest hurdle.
...it's in the discussion of our disagreements and how we each perceive things that we each reach a deeper understanding of each other and it's in this way that we find that healthy middle ground.

And I do feel that there are times that I think posts should be removed if they are disrespectful or dangerously inaccurate (like the kind of bad advice that could get someone hurt or worse). Maybe we shouldn't be protected from our own ignorance, but there are many times I wish to be protected from the ignorance of others.
...and i would wholeheartedly agree that any post that could potentially cause harm should be deleted, the safety of all members should always come first.

...it's just that grown ups don't always agree and just because sometimes disagreements can become messy doesn't mean it's good policy to erase all traces of disagreement.

...and maybe giving folks the option of an 'agree' or 'disagree' might be a safe way for folks to show what they think without the need to type an explanation that might could be misunderstood by the reader, ...we lose a lot of nuance in our communication when we have only the typed word.

...but i don't want to beat a dead horse and i've only meant to respond and give a further clarification of my own point of view. ...and it is only my point of view and no-one is obligated to agree with it, ...frankly, i'm perfectly ok with people disagreeing with me once we each understand where the other is coming from.

peace, bozo