Adding Pedals Onto a 50cc Scooter?

GoldenMotor.com

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
Just came up with a pretty funny idea. I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but according to the laws you could throw pedals on a little scooter and it would be called a motorized bicycle by law if you could move the scooter with pedals. You would never need registration, licence, or anything! (Depending on your state). Just a funny thought.
-Zane

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Actually- aren't the laws just a bit antiquated? Because all the time there's new and different products. Here's an ad for a 50 cc scooter- a really good one and good buy I think.
http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/38/products_id/16903

It conveniently doesn't describe the tranny- I even queried them and got no answer- I was just interested, so I'm not gonna call them. I'll bet it's a 4 speed "semi-automatic" with a centrifical clutch- meaning you shift it with a foot lever, but it can slow down in gear otherwise-

but really NOT much different from a "moped" like this one on another site:
http://gokartsusa.com/SSR-Lazer5-Moped-49cc.aspx
that sells for hundreds more- just because of the ad. And probably priced higher because of the laws- put in place largely to sell more gasoline and discourage such transport.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Actually- aren't the laws just a bit antiquated? Because all the time there's new and different products. Here's an ad for a 50 cc scooter- a really good one and good buy I think.
http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/38/products_id/16903

It conveniently doesn't describe the tranny- I even queried them and got no answer- I was just interested, so I'm not gonna call them. I'll bet it's a 4 speed "semi-automatic" with a centrifical clutch- meaning you shift it with a foot lever, but it can slow down in gear otherwise-

but really NOT much different from a "moped" like this one on another site:
http://gokartsusa.com/SSR-Lazer5-Moped-49cc.aspx
that sells for hundreds more- just because of the ad. And probably priced higher because of the laws- put in place largely to sell more gasoline and discourage such transport.

First link is a scooter, just foot pegs and a shifter lever which as you noted is likely a semi auto 3-4 speed gearing.

The second link is an actual moped with pedals, probably simular engine as the one draco is using for his unique build.

An actual moped is more expensive than the chinese scooters.

Map

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Well I've studied the statutes of all the states over the last few years. They can vary greatly from state to state. The states define what vehicles they allow to be operated on their public roadways. They also define what vehicles must be registered, insured and license requirements. If you build outside of what the state defines can be operated on their public roadways then its considered an off road vehicle.

This is merely from a legal standpoint. Granted if you obey the traffic laws, don't endanger others or be a public nuisance then the police in most states won't bother you.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
From what I've read on the Internet and not from actual experience, is that the Lazer moped is a dog on take off. You can upgrade to a 70cc kit, but it's still a dog on acceleration.

Maybe a 125cc on the non-pedal scooter would be good.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
From what I've read on the Internet and not from actual experience, is that the Lazer moped is a dog on take off. You can upgrade to a 70cc kit, but it's still a dog on acceleration.

Maybe a 125cc on the non-pedal scooter would be good.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
I like the scooters, pretty fun to ride, I have a 150cc. Roketa MC-74 I've done some mods that has it at a top speed of 62mph and takes off pretty darn fast, some of it is typical cheap chinese bt the GY6 CLONE ENGINES are good and easy to mod.

Map

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It's not that simple. My moped has pedals, but it's still considered a motor vehicle, because it's considered self propelled. The reasoning is it's not necessary to pedal from a stop so it's in fact self propelled.

A china girl on the other hand can't ride off from a stop without pedaling, so it's not considered self propelled, therefore not a motor vehicle.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
It's not that simple. My moped has pedals, but it's still considered a motor vehicle, because it's considered self propelled. The reasoning is it's not necessary to pedal from a stop so it's in fact self propelled.

A china girl on the other hand can't ride off from a stop without pedaling, so it's not considered self propelled, therefore not a motor vehicle.
Well said and dead on the money....... !

Map

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Why would you want to ride a scooter? They're dorky! :p

If you're gonna get a scooter, get one of the fast ones which require motorcycle registration, those are very fun, like a fat chick

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Why would you want to ride a scooter? They're dorky! :p

If you're gonna get a scooter, get one of the fast ones which require motorcycle registration, those are very fun, like a fat chick
Hey..... if it has wheels and an engine I call that fun... not dorky...LOL!

who cares what others think as long as you like it right...!

I have a 150 Roketa Chinese scooter, and old 650 Maxim Yamaha, a 2007 FXSTC Harley Davidson, three motorized bikes, three go karts and many more builds in my mind that will add a few new members to the family in time...... I like-em all!

Map
.wee.