cargo bike design?

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
has anyone on here ever made a cargo bike with shopping cart/trolley as I am considering making one with old trolley and rigid framed bike. I plan to try and use a trike/go cart axle if possible at back of trolley with back triangle cut off bike and trolley welded on. would this be a good design and how would I link up bike gears still not sure.

this is similar idea but I plan it to be lower and have a ramp for allowing lawnmower/wheelbarrow/etc to be wheeled on and off easily as plan on using for garden maintaince business

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I like the idea.

To get your cargo area lower, you'll probably have to go with a trike, sidecar or trailer design. Sidecar and trailer both have the advantage of being far more stable for loading and unloading. I posted it elsewhere, but here's a link to Xtracycle, they have an extension kit system and sidecar that they claim can hold 250 lbs.

Food for thought, if nothing else.

http://www.xtracycle.com/

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Xtracycle makes some nice stuff. Expensive though...
Definately. That's part of the downside of it being a 'niche market' and having a system designed to be that modular and upgradable.

However I'm thinking someone with a welder and the stock pipe might be able to bodge something similar together.