Small GPS for stolen bikes?

GoldenMotor.com

>ScCruisin<

May 29, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I had my first motor bike stolen a couple months ago. i have a newer better one now, which ive been meaning to post pictures of. Has anyone heard of a small gps receiver with really good battery life that you could hide somewhere on your bike, and if it got stolen, you could look at computer software and see location of the bike? i dont know why this isnt a popular thing already, seems like a brilliant idea to me...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

Google "Stolen Bicycle Tracking Systems GPS" - like any good idea, someone's already had it lol

I've no idea ifn they're any good tho *shrug*

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
i used to use this on my atv awhile back. it works really well the tracking service is free onlY thing you pay for is the data plan for the prepaid cell phone @.35 cents a day :) check it out: InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking the phone is pretty small, you could make it smaller by taking it outta the casing and rearranging some of the parts. turn the screen to timout very quickly and set it to silent so the battery should last you a day or two :) good luck hope this helps :D .shft.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
there's a few problems i can see with a gps tracker. first, it has to be hidden somewhere on a bike. and it has to be serviceable, like changing a battery, so the only two places possible would be in the handlebars or the seat post. it wouldn't work inside a wheel because it would blow the tire, or be damaged from the forces applied to a wheel. any other external hiding place would be easily discovered, and you'd be able to track down a trash can where the thing was dumped.

in most cases, it'd only work in the few hours after the bike was initially stolen, because a thief would most likely strip the bike to sell it, and would probably discover it, or he would dump the bike, since a lot of thefts are of convenience, where someone needed a ride, and took yours.

another concern would be the transmission of the actual signal. if the bike was kept in a garage, or indoors, the reciever wouldn't pick it up.

still another problem, is bike recovery isn't high on any law enforcement's to do list. it'd be up to you to track your own bike down, and hopefully not get beat up in a confrontation, or get caught hiding in the bushes outside of someone's house.

the best thing to do is get a good lock, lock it somewhere secure and in public, and since you're in california, register it with the serial number of the bike as the vin, and engrave a number on the engine and use that.

supposedly, the bike goes into a data base, so if anyone gets busted riding it, the cops can run it and find out.

when i got a ticket for not wearing a DOT helmet, the cop wrote down the serial number of my bike on the ticket. i didn't have the registration for it yet, so who knows if he woulda actually ran the numbers, but at least you could report it stolen...

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That's pretty cool IP. It also looks nondescript so to an untrained eye, like it belongs on a MB.

Could use a solar yard light panel to charge it. See them for a few bucks now.