engine bogs down and then dies

GoldenMotor.com

crabdance

May 16, 2008
ok... I tried blowing into the gas inlet and pushing up on the float fork and it did not stop the air from coming in. So I guess I have something blocking it. What do I do now? While I'm waiting on a reply I will look at those links that you sent me... thanks!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There is either a piece of crud not allowing the valve to seat, or the little "bullet" that goes between the float arms and the seat is bad, have a look at them both.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
There is either a piece of crud not allowing the valve to seat, or the little "bullet" that goes between the float arms and the seat is bad, have a look at them both.
ok... I will do what I can, but I'm not good at this part. Getting more into the carburetor practically gives me a heart attack... lol. I will get back with you in a few. Thanks

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Still looking... just wanted to come back and let you know that I'm still trying to find the valve that needs to be seated. Be patient with me. I'm not good at this part. Thanks.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Ok... found out what was wrong. The prongs for the float were sticking up too high. Just for grins I tried pulling down on them gently and they just popped down. After that I tried to start it and it started right up and did not leak. Any idea of what would cause that? I don't want to pull the bowl on the carburetor every time this happens.

Thanks for all your help man... I really appreciate it.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If it happens again, tip the bike to one side or the other (to tilt the carb) and tap on the float chamber with a little rock, screwdriver handle, pocket knife ect. to "unstick" the float.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
If it happens again, tip the bike to one side or the other (to tilt the carb) and tap on the float chamber with a little rock, screwdriver handle, pocket knife ect. to "unstick" the float.
Thanks man... I've tapped on the carburetor before and it worked so I guess I will do that. I took it out for a ride with the carb fixed and it didn't take long for it to start leaking gas again. Wish I had a more permanent solution for it. Thanks for all your help Joe.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
if you don't have a in line fuel filter cost about $4.00 at wallyworld and has a PAPER medium in it and its a see through in the lawn and garden section.
You need to install one or you will continue to have leaking carb problems.
Norman

crabdance

May 16, 2008
if you don't have a in line fuel filter cost about $4.00 at wallyworld and has a PAPER medium in it and its a see through in the lawn and garden section.
You need to install one or you will continue to have leaking carb problems.
Norman
Thanks Norman, I will get one of those as soon as I can. If that would keep things from leaking it would be well worth it. Thanks for the advice.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I got an in-line filter for my bike today. Only got to ride it once so I don't know really how good it's doing. Will know more tomorrow. Wallyworld is in the next town so I got one from NAPA. Cost a little more but when you consider the cost of gas it's probably about the same. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

cd

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Well... rode my bike this morning and everything seems to be going good. I haven't had any leaking so far and the float has not been sticking. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that I have it fixed.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Well, after about 3 days of running fine it started leaking again. The only thing that I can think of that I did different is that I filled the gas tank up pretty full. Don't know if that could cause it but I think that might be important. I think my gas tank is leaking fuel too. Right now gas "appears" to be coming out the air intake too. I'm really at a loss. Can anyone give me some more ideas about what might be going on with this? On my last ride yesterday I had to stop and take of the carburetor bowl off 4 times just to make it home and I know that's not right. Thanks for any input everyone. This is driving me nuts.

Thanks,
cd

edit: I just wanted to thank everyone for being so helpful.

Last edited:

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I'd talk to the seller about a replacement carb.
Thanks Joe, the kit was a gift to me from a friend but I am starting to think about getting a new carburetor. Do you know where would be a good place to fine one?

thanks,
cd

edit: I forgot to say that when I banged on the carb bowl with my screwdriver it acted ok for a little while. The last time I did it, it lasted all the way home. I'm going to drive it to my doctors appointment today and see how it does. Will let you all know how it goes.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I think thatsdax sells them. I just looked at his site and it says carbs are out of stock..................................

Last edited:

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Yea, every time I have looked at his site it has said that they are out of stock. I found one for boygofast on eBay but I'm nervous about that. I still not quiet ready to give up on my carburetor yet. It's got to be something simple and I'm just missing it. I figure that if banging on it with a screwdriver handle fixes it, it can't be too complicated. Guess for now I just going to try and figure it out.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Something is making the float stick. Take the carb off, and take it apart and move the forks up and down and try to find what's binding.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'm lucky enough that I can pull the bowl off my carb with it still attached to the motor. Great if you can, if not you can still do this...

Remove the bowl of the carb W/float. With the carb still attached be sure to turn the fuel off. With your finger push up gently ( I cant remember the name so we will call it float tab) the float tab and turn the fuel on....there should be no fuel coming out. If you do have fuel coming out...it's not sealing or something is binding the needle.

If you let the float tab down and no fuel...same thing needle is binding and most likely there is junk in there.

With the carb out of the bike...pull the bowl off. Use an extra fuel line hose or the fuel line hose from the bike and attach it to the carb. Hold it upright like it is mounted in on the bike. Blow in the fuel line...with the fuel tab down you should be able to blow air through the carb...push up on the fuel tab and you should not be able too. This will tell you if the needle is seating to shut the fuel off... If not you got junk in the carb or the needle is just worn out. If you can't get any air though the carb then thier is most likely a block somewhere.

I have a few pic's of me cleaning the carb...http://motorbicycling.com/f15/fairracing-pics-video-1961-3.html#post19287

Hope this help's :ride2: