what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Today I roughed out the torsion tubes for my springer front end. I made the swing arms yesterday out of 1/2" x 1" flat steel so I can drill and tap to anchor the torsion tubes without the need for a locknut. The tubes were made from 3/4" thick walled conduit, cheap and strong. The lower pivot for the tubes were fabricated from 5/8" steel rod instead of crimping the tube itself. The pivot was inserted in the tube and welded. The bridge for the springs will be made from 1/2" x 1" flat steel as well. I'll use industrial springs for both the uppers and lowers. The springer will be wide enough (6") to allow me to use a 180 or 203mm disc. Tomorrow I will fabricate a Harley style caliper mount that rotates with the up and down movement of the springer. I'm waiting for my new 12 gauge SS Sapim spokes to arrive so I can lace up my front wheel, a standard 24" rim and hub from a Schwinn OCC. I know a lot of members poopoo OCC wheels, but I like them. They are cheap, true, and strong once you upgrade the spokes. I have the seam on the rear wheel welded for added strength. Will post photos when finished..weld

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

=====================================

So let me check if I got this right, your only talking about 1 engine that was bought on Ebay for $105 and, what it was as is and no returns? But I think I go this right, you kept it and then finally found out some parts stuck were due to a loose bolt around the flywheel and no you have it running or there abouts?

If so, great. Thats a big engine, the Briggs I have is only 3 hp and maybe is 120 cc or so I guess.

MT
Yep, one 6hp Robin engine for $105. I haven't started it yet, but it spins freely now.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Built a friction drive in the last few days. The first from a kit, also with a clutch. It was a BGF kit, I do not advise anyone using this kit unless you are a machinist fabricator, this is defiantly not a install and go kit. After completely rebuilding this thing I got it installed on the bike. I like the friction drive thing, except for the looks. It could be easy to install if you get the correct kit, (not this one) The engine is large I don't think you need an engine this big or powerful. It is fast as the kit uses a large roller. As you know the size of the roller dictates the top speed, It acts as a literal wheel the larger the faster you could go. If I were to build another I would use this kit and find another engine to go with it, you can see the quality in there kit. bikemotorparts.com Have fun, Egor
============

I think bike motorparts.com web site has problems, or are they out of business. When did you buy from them? I also did a search on Motoredbikes.com another web site like Motorbicycling.com ...... http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=12885 ...... and it seems that people conversing there also had a problem emailing them ect... oops... I just saw other posts here saying the same as on Motorbicycling.com about Motorparts.com not existing anymore.

Sad, but since I like DIY'er stuff mostly, guess I'll do OK. I suspect other places make wheel rub kits, I just was curious what a Mfr would be marketing for that type of drive and see comparisons to what DIY'ers are making. I will check to see if you have pictures up of the build with this.

I am on my way to use the washing machine pulley sandwiched to spokes with wood strengthened covered epoxy and two jackshafts and a bunch of other pulleys on the jackshafts to go to the engine with belt clutch. I did this before and it worked, but now I need more gearing down.

There is now in the works a 47 to 1 reduction will get me a range from 3.5mph at 2200rpm and 5.5 mph at 3500rpm there abouts. Yea it is slow, but it is for parade art vehicle, and alternately can mix and match to make hill climb OHV or if I can find the time and funds to get out in time trial, will see what 8 to 1 or similar can do for speed runs.

Even I could just omit one of the jackshafts by not running a belt to one of them since the double jackshafts were for a huge gearing reduction so not to burn up the clutch when running so slow and pulsing the throttle to keep under 5mph. I hope I can have just above idle and hold the throttle steady and cruse at 4mph:)

MT

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

.cs. I am not sure why you wouldn't get www.thatsdax.com on a google search. What did you enter as search words?

I promote Dax whenever I can because the kits I bought came with thick steel channel, u-brackets (long AND short!) and straps. I think the product is good for the people who are not the most mechanically inclined but want a motor bicycle. Also, I like that I can quickly remove mine if I want to use the bike for a pedal-only event.

The ones I have purchased have twin heavy duty automotive type bearings, a thick shaft secured by a long roller or 2 lock collars inside, a lock collar and a snap ring outside.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dax-Friction-Drive-fan-club/218445778250153

Thanks I forgot about Dax. I have a few of his frame kits, they work pretty good. Just to tell how old they are both have the bushing small end. Duane has always treated me well. I wonder why his stuff does not come up on a Google search. Any way thanks for the help. Egor

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Wow, I was really impressed by the demo website and breakdown /cutaway pictures!

I remember working in lawncare, mostly with common 5hp +/- Briggs engines, and sometimes a Subaru/Robin 2 cycle 4hp engine. The 2 cycle engine was very smooth and easy starting, had a pleasant sound, and ran on the same mix as the string trimmers. It really lacked torque compared to the briggs, but was great for the run-and-gun-it style of "manicure" mowing I did with some city lawn contractors who mowed all the little patches of grass for businesses to keep the city at bay. I think it would make a sweet MB trailer engine.

I have seen youtube videos of go-kart builders turning trash-picked 4stroke 4hp briggs motors into horizontal shaft 2 stroke screamers. They made modifications to the bearings/bushings for oiling, added oil dippers in place of the gear driven oil slingers, and made their own cam lobes, then did some trick welding on the cylinder for the intake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXScyi4QkYg Imagine having the "intake" and exhaust both opening simultaneously! Dual exhaust!

Yep, one 6hp Robin engine for $105. I haven't started it yet, but it spins freely now.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

polished the exhaust port on the motor bike, and cut a new base gasket out of different material. hopefully it won't break like the other one would.

i still need to cut an extra gasket, scan it and make a template for it.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Sounds like you have a great start on a pusher for this summer, 57 !
Will you run it with another bike?
...Maybe use it for camping trips there on the island????
Best
rc

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh

got my motor from pirate cycles today,pre fit on my huffy crapbrook,fits good.but gotta go put struts on my alero so ill have to play with it tomorro nite.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Sounds like you have a great start on a pusher for this summer, 57 !
Will you run it with another bike?
...Maybe use it for camping trips there on the island????
Best
rc
The BOB trailer is an excellent trailer, quality-made. I WAS gonna make a push trailer, but it might stand out too much. This 6hp Robin engine will be shoehorned into a Raleigh 7-speed cruiser frame.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Wow, I was really impressed by the demo website and breakdown /cutaway pictures!

I remember working in lawncare, mostly with common 5hp +/- Briggs engines, and sometimes a Subaru/Robin 2 cycle 4hp engine. The 2 cycle engine was very smooth and easy starting, had a pleasant sound, and ran on the same mix as the string trimmers. It really lacked torque compared to the briggs, but was great for the run-and-gun-it style of "manicure" mowing I did with some city lawn contractors who mowed all the little patches of grass for businesses to keep the city at bay. I think it would make a sweet MB trailer engine.

I have seen youtube videos of go-kart builders turning trash-picked 4stroke 4hp briggs motors into horizontal shaft 2 stroke screamers. They made modifications to the bearings/bushings for oiling, added oil dippers in place of the gear driven oil slingers, and made their own cam lobes, then did some trick welding on the cylinder for the intake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXScyi4QkYg Imagine having the "intake" and exhaust both opening simultaneously! Dual exhaust!
This 6hp Robin/Subaru EX17 is overhead cammed and 4-stroked.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Drained the remaining fuel in my gas tank after I found out my misses made a mix at 10.1 thinking she made it 50.1 I even added an extra 20ml to my 2 litres to bring it back to roughly 32.1 no wonder my bike was blowing abit of smoke... Surprisingly not that much tbh and it didn't really kill the power that much considering

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

pics as promised of the ammo box on le bike!

doesn't hold quite as much as i had hoped. holds about 3 cans of chunky soup + bike lock :3

but hey, it looks awesome.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

My plastic windshield cracked near the mounting bolt. The other day, the windshield post broke at the mount, so I removed the shield.

On the way home yesterday, the freewheel @ the engine chainring jammed @ 30-something mph. No panic attack, since there was no loss of control. In a few seconds, the freewheel unjammed itself, so I rode home @ cruising speed. Last night, I lubed the freewheel. This weekend, I'll replace it.

I got caught in the rain riding to work. No problem, I just pulled under a tree and donned my rain suit. I got to work bone dry.

I am loving my new Coyote "side-saddle" bikestand.dance1

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I like the ammo cans and mount. Why did you angle them that way, though. It is not bad, just curious why you did that instead of level them. Is it to reach in them while seated?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

5-7, does your post mean the Shift Kit front freewheel jammed? Did it force the pedals around? I like that system but I have been afraid of FFS failure. I hear the parts are finicky and require frequent disassembly and repacking.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

I like the ammo cans and mount. Why did you angle them that way, though. It is not bad, just curious why you did that instead of level them. Is it to reach in them while seated?
I did it like that so it would clear the pedals and also be able to get the wheel on and off without needing to take the box off.

I love how long the sbp cranks arms are. /sarcasm.
really though if there was an option for shorter cranks that will work with the sbp freewheel, i'd jump all over it!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Oh, that makes sense. Smart thinking! They look big enough you can probably get your tubes, small tool kit, mini pump, and a couple 1L bottles of fuel in there. If you put your U lock on the seatpost (mine mounts to seatpost, U lock hangs down from there), you will have alittle more room, and a handy weapon against evil dogs.

How long are the cranks? 175? That is the standard. 180 are rare except for BMX and 29er singlespeed, 170 is common on road and cheap mtn bikes. 165 is common for Junior riders, women, and people who really like pedaling fast and shifting a lot. I prefer 180 on anything.