looking for a engine that goes 50mph

GoldenMotor.com

big bird

Jul 21, 2015
chicago
Already have a engine but I want more hp and and goes faster. What would everyone recommend. Sorry not good with computers so help me out.

Thank, bird

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
assuming its a 66cc China girl- you're in for a struggle getting that kind of speed-

maybe a souped up version, with a jackshaft and shift-kit can get up near that-

the limiting factors are the one gear and the motor power itself-

If I wanted top performance right now without a lot of special mods- I'd take a 66 motor and get the wide intake spaced jug and put that on- with a billet intake for a wider intake CNS type performance carb- surest way to get more fuel to the motor- wider intake on carb and wider intake on the jug-

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=20660&page=21
see my 66 bike here- THIN 27 x 1/1/4 wheels with alloy rims for fast rolling, and great pedaling-
and with a 34 alloy sprocket-

the smaller the rear sprock the faster the top end, but you may have a harder time pedal starting or peddling assist until it can kick in-

this bike will cruise at 30, but only top out about 35- with no special mods to the motor other than a billet intake and kit Speed carb.

Havent used high compression head, but that would probably help, as well as some kind of expansion chamber exhaust-

not interested in that- the bike makes too much noise already- that longer pipe is never coming! Got as much speed and power as I'd ever be comfortable with- and that's after racing USCF road for 14 years as a young foolish thing.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
If speed is what you want you need the THX1138 with the improbability drive.

But really, if you want to hit that speed it's the rest of the bike you need to worry about first. It would have to be rock solid, heavy duty, military grade, re-inforced. But that's just my opinion. There are ways to get there but my best advice would be to read up in this forum's various threads on speed and high performance. See what others have done and go from there.

good luck and wear a helmet

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Hi, welcome to the forum... try reading in the high performance section in here and you can decide whether to pay somebody big bucks for a fast engine or read up on porting, intakes, exhausts, and ways to boost compression and do your own mods.... 50mph from these engines is not impossible but you're asking a lot.
you also need a bike properly prepped to handle these speeds so there's a lot more than just putting an engine in and being able to go 50mph...

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Hi, welcome to the forum... try reading in the high performance section in here and you can decide whether to pay somebody big bucks for a fast engine or read up on porting, intakes, exhausts, and ways to boost compression and do your own mods.... 50mph from these engines is not impossible but you're asking a lot.
you also need a bike properly prepped to handle these speeds so there's a lot more than just putting an engine in and being able to go 50mph...
Exactly, getting an engine to those speeds isn't the hardest part, it's doing so more safely and being able to stop that are going to take twice as long as an engine build would. My bike has hit more than forty five quite a few times, but I've never stayed at that speed for more than a couple minutes max because I like my limbs.

Anyways that's with a China girl that's got a good bit of modifications, but isn't a full on race bike. Go with a different engine for reliability like a morini. You'll also need a solid bike with some disc brakes and all that is just the beginning...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Before you start looking for the engine you'd better make sure you have something under you better than a mediocre bike. Even a high end bike is still just that; a bicycle.

You'll have bicycle bearings, brakes, tires and rims. 50mph isn't inconcievable but you're pushing the envelope for safety. Give some serious consideration to what you're asking for.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The only time I'd want mine to go that fast is when it's strapped to the back of my car ---- on the way to my next adventure!

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Ok, Big Bird, it looks like we have a majority vote. Make sure you've got a bike that can handle it. Like I said, rock solid, heavy duty, military grade, re-inforced. And that includes forks, chain, brakes, hubs, spokes, tires, tubes, hardware etc.

but don't forget to have fun

and wear a bloody helmet and leathers

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
As everyone said the bike has to be solid, solid, solid. Once you are getting over 40 the bicycle components will really get questionable. Once you are at 50 things like wheel bearings and brakes can be extremely short lived. Beyond that they may not work at all. Put very high grade grease in the wheel bearings and check them literally every ride at those speeds.