three wheeler engine on a motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I'm with maniac, find a frame it will fit, chopper sounds cool or a dyno frame. Just be sure to build it as safe as possible. Strong frame, strong wheels, good tires and the best brakes you can install, hydro if at all possible.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The vertical cylinder may be a challenge on a bicycle, but not impossible, If you got a welder and you can weld tho you'll be able to do it. I'd start by making up a frame jig so you can keep the important stuff in place while you cut out the top and or bottom frame tubes to make your new mounts and support tubes.

There are several places on the net that explain how to make frame jigs, but I've been using chopperhandbook.com for several years since they do offer some good free blueprints.. here's one free one for a frame jig, but they also have tons of how to pages and a lot more blueprints if needed... http://chopperhandbook.com/jigs2.htm
You can apply this knowledge to a motorized bicycle just as well as to a full sized chopper or motorcycle so the main page is definitely worth bookmarking

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Cool find. I used to part these out on ebay. There's still a huge market for people restoring ATC's. There's about 40-50 little auctions in each one and you can probably make over $600 selling the items you don't use separately.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's a good thing since the larger engines do havve the vertical cylinder... You can see the real displacement cast somewhere on the base of the cylinder. I know back in the late 70's and early 80's people used to re badge their motorcycles and atv's either to avoid higher insurance costs or because their spouses or parents didn't want them having a bike or trike over a certain size and the solution to the problem was right at the parts counter to get new decals for a smaller version of what you got so the significant other or parents would think you got a smaller machine than what you actually got. I had a friend who had a KE 125 who re badged his as a 100 because his parents didn't want him to have anything bigger than 100cc, and another friend who's wife wouldn't let him get a bike bigger than 100cc as well so he re badged his 175 to look like a 100. Then after these have changed hands a few times, the new owner might think he just got a 100cc bike or in this case a 110cc trike but wonders why it's so powerful... Really can't get away with the insurance anymore since everything is done by the vin number, but it's still an easy way to get a bigger bike if the spouse don't want you having a real one...

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
The engine might be 110cc...

That engine may only be 110cc. My Honda XR80 engine (with 80cc vertical cylinder) is roughly 16" tall due to its ohc design. This engine barely fit in my Silver State Cycles board track frame. The XR100 is nearly an inch taller and you still need space for valve adjustments.

Either way, it may be hard to find a frame which will support such a tall engine. You're probably going to have to custom-fabricate one. Honestly, I would consider foregoing the top bar altogether.

To put things in perspective, the CG125 engine is around 14" tall since it uses an OHV design.

Good luck! If your engine is a 110cc OHC screamer, you've got a lot of power on your hands. Probably close to 9hp stock. My XR80 can hit 10,000 rpm stock (12,000 rpm modified).

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
Honda didn't make a 110cc upright for 3-wheelers. They did make many different uprights that were smaller than 110cc but they were in motorcycles, not 3-wheelers. They do make a 110 upright now, but it is a whole new engine.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The only real way to know the displacement is by what's cast or stamped at the base of the cylinder, and then that's only good as long as the cylinder has never been bored out.
If I remember right, the 110 was the largest of the horizontal engines that went into the Honda ATC's, but I could be wrong since that was like 30 years ago... I do remember they had several sizes back then like a 70, 90, 110, 125, 150, 175, 185, and 200 for the 4 strokers (I can't remember if Honda made a 50cc 4 stroker but they might have for a few years) and then they had the 2 stroke racing ATC's that were 125 or 250cc and pretty much the same as their CR engines they put in the dirtbikes

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...I can't remember if Honda made a 50cc 4 stroker but they might have for a few years...
edit: my bad, thought I read "50cc 4 cylinder" but it's a four stroker in any case lol ;) (the Super Cub had the common 50cc four stroke horizontal single starting in the late 50's?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Super_Cub

They did ofc... and they were monsters for their size O.O

Honda RC110, RC111 & RC112: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RC111

The RC112 is a twin, with bore and stroke of 33 x 29 mm, giving a total capacity of 49.6 cc.
There are 2 valves per cylinder. Ignition is by magneto, lubrication is with wet sump system, and the gearbox is nine speed.
Power is given as over 10 bhp at 17,500 rpm, torque is 0.45 kgm at 15,000 rpm. Dry weight is 62.5 kg.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I remember those small multi cylinder race engines... little screamers but they did have a narrow powerband hence the 9 speed transmissions... I've heard of some road race bikes (mainly rotary valved 2 strokers) having as many as 20 gears to compensate for very narrow powerbands until the rules were changed limiting the number of gears to 6, that's when the engineers had to figure a way to get a wider powerband without losing all that power these engines made on the top end

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
fix it and ride it as is !!!!!!

good god dont ruin a good honda atc !!!!

i rebuild and restore vintage ATC's as a hobby and i have 5 under my belt !!! my current ride is a 1982 honda big red E with chain drive .... its got a forged wizco piston at 12:1 comp a custom ground cam for high rpms and midrange torque from web cams and a ported larger valve head from a 200X dirt bike and a 27mm carb with axcelerator pump and a super trap exhaust with 16 plates and a 1in holed end cap..... this is the model with high and low gear and a semi auto 5 speed

man when i tel you its scary fast ..... its scary fast LOL i damn near crapped my pants a few times conering and taking of nearly flipping off the back !
and when its in it low gear and in 1st or 2nd ..... nothing .... nothing can stop those swampers from spinning !
god i love 3 whelers !!!!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
The only real way to know the displacement is by what's cast or stamped at the base of the cylinder, and then that's only good as long as the cylinder has never been bored out.
If I remember right, the 110 was the largest of the horizontal engines that went into the Honda ATC's, but I could be wrong since that was like 30 years ago... I do remember they had several sizes back then like a 70, 90, 110, 125, 150, 175, 185, and 200 for the 4 strokers (I can't remember if Honda made a 50cc 4 stroker but they might have for a few years) and then they had the 2 stroke racing ATC's that were 125 or 250cc and pretty much the same as their CR engines they put in the dirtbikes
your forgettting the most dangerous atc ever made and what caused the ban...... the honda 350x !!!!!

biult one with a big bore stroker kit out to 410cc !!

i hear there are even 500cc kits for it useing a honda dirt bike cylinder and head !