Engine choice Vintage or Speed

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
So would you rather have vintage 1 1/2 hp Clinton engine in a boardtrack style build ? Or lets say a 2 1/2 hp 99c mounted upright.Of coarse both stripped down. I don't know if I can go for the look I want and sacrifice the Hp even tho it's not alot. The speed is nice for when tho's lil beaaches on their mopeds want to go!

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If you plan to ride a lot or race, go with a modern engine. If you are just going to show it and ride it occasionally at car shows and other events, go with vintage power. The Clinton engine will certainly set your boardie apart from all the others.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Clinton for sure i have 2 of them not yet in a bike. I don't take much to get the HP up in them a little port matching and porting out some shave the head a little. Then a bigger carb. With modern oil and all it should be a good engine...........Curt

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Or do this.....

Yeah......that's the modern engine that will out perform the vintage Clinton and look equally as cool in the build you are contemplating ;)

That's just me of course :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I can't find it, Moto but there is an awesome thread where the OP took a HF (I think) engine and disguised/modded it to look like a turn of the century engine.

Man! I looked but can't remember the word, some thing like "vintageiphy" or the like. Or who posted it but was a spectacular work.

Any one know the thread I mean? I am sure I saved it some where so I would know where to find. lol

But honestly, if I could only build one and already had that great old engine, I would do that. (first, snicker)

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Thanx everyone,but still for sure winner. I want to go with the Clinton but I hate flywheel shrouds. The Clinton flywheel shroud is the type that you would want if you were to have one.The type that has the pulley for rope starts sticking out. The Other motor I can remove cover and have no fins .Then add my own pulley.It's killin me.Well my SSC frame should be here soon and mock ups will begin.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
An old all cast iron flat head Briggs was my first engine. Had that same carb/tank set up as the one you have. I bought it for a dollar and fifty cents from a kid down the street when I was 13. Yup, the old T rope starter. Hey, at least the spring never broke eh? Just tie a new knot.

Put that motor in a go kart I made out of 2x4's and planking. Yup, wood. Wheels scrounged from a discarded golf bag pull. Belt & pulley drive with a groove cut in the wheel for the belt. Yup, it went down the road - :)

Thanks, brought back memories.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You could find a flywheel on ebay then cut the fins off. then you could make your own pulley......Thats my plan...............Curt

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Looking forward to your build Moto, I would go with the newer engine if you were planning on riding a lot.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Great story B.
So the motor has the pulley so I would go about removing the fins how ? I know I could gut and grind down but don't I have to worry about balance ?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
There are a few guys that have done it,some with a lathe and some just like you say cut and grind. get it running and hit with a grinder. Should brace the grinder against something solid when doing it.
It doesn't seem to efect the balance just taking the fins off the balance hokes and stuff is in the maine body..................Curt