in need of info

GoldenMotor.com

Beansgotanewbike

Mar 25, 2013
illinois
Hi everyone..so, here is my dilemma..i was looking at a link by norman about engine rebuild since i cant seem to find the leaky gasket thats causing my haste..my question is the gasket you see (not the magneto area or the clutch wheel case) that runs right underneath your carb ,which i assume are for the bottom half when they connect together--do you have to take everything apart like normans guide to get to that gasket? if i do have to start taking it apart, he mentions pullers but i never saw it (but then again it was 5 in the mornin too). What tool would he be mentioning?( quick reference would be one of my last posts which read-- (acceleration/gaskets/general discussion)

Also, i have been searching for pics on taking your exhaust apart. I would like to try and clean my baffle as i already cleaned out my cap and it was cruddy. i just didnt wanna get ahead of myself..haha i saw a few of em but they were talking but cutting off one end and after a few more searches found nothing.. i appreciate all your help and hope to return the favor one day..thanks

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I can't help on the gasket part, I haven't had to go there (yet).

Taking the stock muffler apart to clean is pretty simple. Take the 10MM nut off the stud at the bottom, and the cap should slide out. The outer tube should come off pretty easily too. From there you could have one of several different internal styles. Brake cleaner is great for getting the gunk out, just hold the other end of the pipe over a bucket or something when you spray it in.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yes, you must do a complete tear down to replace case half mating gaskets on all engines that use them.

Unless your engine is running really badly, from a leak at the case halves, I would guess you probably have a leaky petcock and/or a leaky float valve sending fuel on down when the motor is no longer running.

Clean the engine well and dry it. Place clean, dry cardboard beneath the engine. Inspect after a few hours.
On better quality motorcycles, mechanics dust talcum powder on the engine, after cleaning and drying, to locate very, very small seeps.

Good luck
rc

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
it is rare for that gasket to leak because it is bad, much more likely for it to leak a bit if the case bolts are not tight - you must have a hand impact driver to properly tighten them and don't forget the three under the clutch

Beansgotanewbike

Mar 25, 2013
illinois
Thank you guys who responded and helped with your ideas..i have been beating myself up trying to find out why i cant accelerate and my plugs blacker than soot..i changed out my petcock and alot of other things except mess with the carb(adjusting the tab to lower float ring) and the jet..i have had no issues with my bike for nearly a year and have estimated 500+ miles on it..I rode aroundd with a broken throttle handle for bout half that time and when i changed it out it started gradually losing acceleration over the course of a few weeks. then i found the base gasket leaking oil and decided to change it therefore putting me in the predicament of idling, starting, but no go.. i will go out today and do a few things with the bike(main mode of transp.) and apply what you guys have suggested..oh, almost forgot..when it comes to oil/gas mix i use master pro synthetic which says its good for three ratios but you use 2.5 ounces everytime..always ran fine on this mix but i did wonder if the oils richer than other brands.. thanks for all your help everyone.. read and learn