Small engine testing equipment

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
http://www.focusappliedtechnologies.com/index_files/Page1793.htm
(their "Bench top dyno" is the cheapest by far)

If you dont have the creativity or intelligence to build your own dyno (I imagine it can be done from a simple generator, especially for our little motors), you can buy them, though they arent cheap, it'd be ridiculously handy to have them, especially when comparing different mods. If noone else wants to indulge, I'll definitely be looking into it once I save up some money from my new job (about $7000 a month, woo!). I want to know what mods work, and what dont, and having a dyno and other testing equipment will help tremendously.

Imagine if you will: Seeing if a full cylinder reed port is better than just a piston and boost port.

If Jake's Power Plenum actually does add power, and where

If the boost bottle really is nothing but overhyped garbage.

And if you really want: Rather than always telling people "you need to jet higher or lower", you can test all of the mods in combination to find the best combos, AND simultaneously measure the oxygen in the exhaust to find the perfect jetting for any situation, and with a little math (altitude and such), give exact jet numbers to people tuning their new engine.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
in the 70s, when I raced, I lived on the dyno

would be nice now, but not worth the effort for me to get/build one

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Hmmm....then you could finally put down some real numbers. See what these little engines can really do stock, then over stock.

I still want a chassis dyno, but that's because I'm a motorhead.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
That is a very cool site. A dyno would be great fun. If you could make it profitable even better. I would not call that cheap by any means though.

Seems to me with all the brain power on this site a group could be assembled, at some desirable undisclosed location, and one of those bad boys could be produced in short order.

Kinda like a working vacation. I will buy the beer...

Cheers,

David

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
A dynomometer could be fabricated out of something like a torque converter from an automatic transmission where the output shaft could be coupled up to some kind of torque measuring device. Or one could use an old brake band and a drum which could be used to make a prony brake; a one foot shaft and a bathroom scale could be used to make accurate measurements of engine performance.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
We had a franken dyno at the last Socal Motor Bicycle Race thanks to Ryan.
5 dyno pulls for $5 with results emailed to you.
Several racers including AGK had 3 of their bikes run on the dyno on the 19th October race day.

I think Ryan said he had about $700 into building it. He just got a flat screen monitor and the computer sorted out running on a generator.

We have had the dyno for about 3 races now.

There is a dyno print out of a stock 66 cc China girl in the race forum done by Ryan.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've had a dyno design in mind for some time. I might get around to building it one day. Or I might not. But I'll offer it to anyone who might be able to use it.

I'll include a simple diagram.

Picture your bike hung up with the wheels free to spin in the air. Now you take something like a 2 x 4 and mount a bicycle rim brake on it. Put this brake on your drive wheel. Somewhere further back the 2 x4, or 'torque arm' rests on a fulcrum. Beyond that is a bathroom scale. Start your bike up and start applying this brake. You can see that the torque arm is going to act as a lever, applying the bike's torque to the bathroom scale. The scale will then 'read' just how hard that bike is pushing against itself.

I really don't know what sort of torque, at the wheel, to expect out of a china girl engine. But let's imagine it is 50 ft/lb. If it were 3 ft to the fulcrum and then 1 more foot to the scale, then that scale would feel a torque of 150 ft/lb. This is right in the scale's most accurate range. So you could get pretty good torque readings.

You'd need a bike speedometer, or some method of measuring wheel RPMs, in this mix in order to calculate horsepower. But this shouldn't be a major difficulty.

I suppose the bike would also have to be fastened to the ground to keep it from bucking around. Also that brake will get hot. But it shouldn't be too hard to rig up a way of running a little bit of water over that brake to cool it.
Which will also smooth out the braking, helping the possible bucking issue.

This dyno might be a bit crude. But any reasonably handy guy could surely get it working without too much trial-and-error. And it would be pretty inexpensive.

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
While I love the idea, it's far too much effort for me.
Tuning a china girl for max power and dyno numbers is great fun, but, to me, it's not what chinagirl motorbicycles are about.
It's like trying to turn laps at Indy on your riding mower.
Wrong tool for the job.
Now, if I were to come across a Morini or KTM, my opinion would change....