boygofast motors?

GoldenMotor.com

hawkeyeinvt

Feb 9, 2013
brattleboro, VT
Ok I have got a couple of motors from this guy the first I effed up n bout marine oil not air cooled engine oil. Was in rush. So I got two more from him the second motor went today. The needle bearing went which in turned ruined my cylinder body and rings. Now on to my last motor. Is he selling cheap rebuilt motors or what is going on. I know it was the needle bearing that went first. 5 dollar part cost me a hundred dollar motor. Ugh. Any suggestions or comments?:-||

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I bought 4 motors, 3 from BGF, and 1 from LEB. I didn't have good luck with any of them. All of them had poorly made crankshafts. One of them had a poorly made rod that caused 2 small end bearings to fail. The other three had cranks that had a ton of runout which caused bearing failures.

On the other hand I've bought 4 Flying Horse motors, and haven't had any serious problems with any of them. Needless to say I won't buy motors from BGF anymore.

Inky

Jul 27, 2013
Arizona
BGF is one of the most hit or miss dealers there is. I Personally wont deal with them just because im a safe than sorry guy and wont risk a bad motor and wasted time and money.

People have had good luck, but more have had bad, id personally go through SBP, dax, or pirate cycles, ive bought motors from all of them and have not had one fail yet

Good luck!
Inky

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Which means Nut that they are whatever Bikeberry wanted to call a Flying Horse that day.... Although most China girls are a gamble. Though if taken care of right SHOULD last at least a little while. It is possible for a good motor to be trashed by a bad mechanic and a crappy motor to run decent at the hands of a good mechanic.

Last edited:

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
Which means Nut that they are whatever Bikeberry wanted to call a Flying Horse that day.... Although most China girls are a gamble. Though if taken care of right SHOULD last at least a little while. It is possible for a good motor to be trashed by a bad mechanic and a crappy motor to run decent at the hands of a good mechanic.
I agree. Most all of these engines are assembled in china. Being rough or not careful, forceful because the china worker wants to leave work earily. That or a bad jaw in the lathe that the cranks are being made in. Also the main bearings are way to small, the least that can be done to help is replace them with quality bearings such as SKF.

It is possible to True your own crank of run out for longevity with simple tools such as pry tools, hammer and wood, thousands meter.

The engines these kits come with are kits them selves! when my engine fails and buy a new one i will disassemble it inspect everything and pre Lube all of the bearings because they come almost dry from the factory.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's true, but Flying Horse motors have differences from other motors that if you know what to look for would make it hard to get away with lying about.

For one thing Flying horse motors have Japanese bearings. Another difference is the cylinders and pistons are different from other motors.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Nut, not to doubt your knowledge but since we both have bought "flying horse" motors from a vendor has the legal right to call any motor they sell "Flying Horse" how can you be certain that you bought a motor from the Flying Horse motor company in China? You may have gotten a good motor from them but I was given 3 "flying horses" from them and only 2 were alike. And if you read the archived post I have in my sig about Bikeberry there actually is info from a rep at the Flying Horse plant on china on what identifies a motor from their plant and NONE of my motors from Bikeberry has "Feima" marked on the con rod.
I am glad though that you did have good luck with the engines you did get from them and a much better experience. And hopefully your engines truly are "Flying Horse" motors.

TheOtherChris

Apr 1, 2012
SE Idaho
My first motor was from (Can't remember) and it died in about 100 feet.
They replaced it and it ran for a year or so.
I bought a kit for another bike from Pirate and it was shipped by BoyGoFast. It was a good motor so I ordered a motor only to replace the second motor from (Can't remember).
The BGF motor on the second bike is still breaking in but seems to be a good one as well.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've come to the conclusion that no matter who makes your china girl motor they're all just different degrees of crap.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I thought the general concensus was that all the engines are basically the same. If you don't do a teardown of the motor and grease everything then you should probably expect it to blow after 100 feet. I've found metal shavings in mine, and sandy grease.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
bought an engine from BGF, got one with a VERY rusted out clutch.

needless to say, he blocked me from buying from him again when i called him out on it.

his loss, been buying parts from jakebike.com haven't had a problem at all and jake's a cool guy to deal with.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Well, I have a Flying Horse motor, the one with the sticker that says it is from the 'Flying Horse Gasoline Engine Factory'.
Well this motors lower con-rod bearing went and scraped up my cylinder and piston.
My thoughts are that it was poorly balanced and vibrated itself to death.
It burned only 1.5 bottles of oil before it died.

My Dying Horse - RIP

So I bought another from ebay for $89 ++ (122.00 delivered, motor only), don't know who made it, not as fast yet, but at WOT it is smooth enough that I can see in my rearview mirror, the other motor vibrated the mirror until everything was a blur.

My opinion, they all pump out a few lemons, so when you get your motor, sprinkle some sugar on it.