How hard are these kits on the bike

GoldenMotor.com

Snagga

May 28, 2013
MA
Hey everyone, been doing some reading and think I am going to pick up on of these kits. I currently have a k2 mountain bike. How hard are these kits on the bike itself? I was debating on buying a bike from ll bean because they have a lifetime warranty. What do you all think?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Hey everyone, been doing some reading and think I am going to pick up on of these kits. I currently have a k2 mountain bike. How hard are these kits on the bike itself? I was debating on buying a bike from ll bean because they have a lifetime warranty. What do you all think?
I don't know of a bike maker that will honor the warranty once a motor
is on it. may want to check the small print first before spending a lot of money

Snagga

May 28, 2013
MA
Well ll bean has a bike repair shop in the store So I would take the part off the bike and bring it to the store for fix or replace. I wouldnt dare tell them it has a motor although ll bean is so freakin awesome they prolly would still fix it

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Quality bikes like K2 have quality bearings and other moving parts. As with normal cycling, the K2 will require fewer adjustments and part replacements than a department store bike. That does not mean that a department store bike is not good for motorizing. The department store bike will require more maintenance, but it will work.
It is a matter of personal preference and budget.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
If an engine is installed properly (chain alligment, sprockets being centered, engine vibration fixed) then there is barely any strain on the bike.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I had one customer bend a bike in a few days...hefty guy, hit lot's of holes ect.

Just check the bike frequently.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Got a K2, eh? It should be just fine. If you keep all fasteners adjusted properly and grease your bearings and align your rear wheel and sprocket just right, that K2 won't notice much.

Having a good bike with good components helps. I run an old JC Higgins with a solid, welded-steel frame, well-greased bearings all around, Worksman wheels all trued and alligned, solidly seated engine mounts, and everything nicely bolted down and inspected regularly. I ride it every chance I get and it barely needs anything from me besides fuel.

Snagga

May 28, 2013
MA
cool, thanks for the replies. Will prolly order a kit within the next week or so. Not gonna do to many upgrades out the gate. I like to set it up stock and do one upgrade at a time and see results for myself. I will however be taking the motor apart and make sure all is well inside and clean up any slag and whatnot before I install it

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I had one customer bend a bike in a few days...hefty guy, hit lot's of holes ect.

Just check the bike frequently.
cool, thanks for the replies. Will prolly order a kit within the next week or so. Not gonna do to many upgrades out the gate. I like to set it up stock and do one upgrade at a time and see results for myself. I will however be taking the motor apart and make sure all is well inside and clean up any slag and whatnot before I install it
I did this and I think it helped a little. After it was apart I polished up all of the inside to be smoother. You would be surprised at some of the stuff they let thru QC.