Idling and How To?

GoldenMotor.com

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
I'm wondering how to keep the bike engine idling at a stop. Ive seen some on the kickstand idling. Its a Skyhawk Grubee GT5 66/80cc. I have the clutch ofcourse to start it after its rolling and carb choke cable. I know its a pedal start but does that mean if the wheel isn't rolling the egine ain't firing? I'm still learning this addictive and plan on going on a ride later today. You can see what I mean at the end of my video.
.shft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_qgiD6xAk8

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Could be a few things...
Clutch drag can often cause a motor to die or idle erratically. You need to do whatever you can to minimize cable drag. Route your cables with long sweeping curves rather than sharp bends, don't secure them down too tight with wire ties or whatever, shoot some light weight oil down the inside of the cable housing to lower the drag on the inner cable. You could also upgrade to a better cable that has a lining inside it which has much less drag (check a good bike shop for better cables). The same goes for the throttle cable, if there is drag the slide may not seat the same all the time. If your cables drag, when you turn the handle bars the clutch may drag more or less, the slide may open or close a bit, the combo of these two changes can have a big effect on the idle. You may also have air leaks somewhere that can effect the idle....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Adjust your clutch cable just a little tighter. When you come to a stop squeeze the clutch lever. That will allow the engine to run but it will be disengaged from the drive sprocket allowing it to idle like a car or motorcycle with a manual transmission.

Congratulations too. Looks like you've built a very sweet little ride.
Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Glad to hear it, Reset.
How let that lady behind the camera ride and you vid her.

Enjoy. Looks like you're having better weather than many of us.

Tom