Do I have to use pedals?

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
While it is not "impossible" to take off from a dead stop without pedals you do have to rev the motor pretty good and allow the clutch to slip quite a bit as you slowly release it with the motor roaring. It will get you going but it really wasn't intended to work that way, and if you are on the heavy side it will be tough on the clutch. I wouldn't count on there being a hill conveniently located every time you need to start your motor or get yourself rolling though....
Irregardless, take a look a the LAW in your state, you will likely find that a MB without pedals no longer fits into the MB niche in the eyes of the law, and most likely will no longer be street legal to ride. So if you want headaches from cops, and to push your bike home if you have a motor problem, and want nowhere to put your feet, then go ahead and build without pedals....

Zach

Dec 5, 2012
Columbus, Nebraska
Thanks everyone for the discussion. I will try to get a chain on the bike, but for now i'll just have to find declines and use lots of leg power. Sucks being 250lbs.!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
So I have finished my first build, using an old mountain bike from the shed, that has the derialluer cut off, and I thought i could get away without using pedals if I bought the pull starter. But is this hard on the clutch or the engine itself if i'm not up to a good speed? If so, Could I just throw a chain on the first gears without a tensioner or derailluer?
Simple answer is you don't have to use pedals if you have a centrifugal clutch and a pull starter. Otherwise its a good idea to use them, after all it is a bicycle..........right?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Great to know! I just got a 49cc Cruiser with no peddle chain, and was wondering why the clutch wasn't powering the bike- clutch pads burned out I'm thinking. I'll put it all back together correctly and try it out. (I was going to try without peddling!) Thanks!

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Just to update- Clutch is a go. I had 10w 30 oil in the Grubee stage 3 gearbox. Drain, clean, fill with 2 ounces ATF. Runs good. I have no pedals now, but It's obvious that I should have by the way it operates.