50s Schwinn Wasp

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
58s Schwinn Wasp Build (My Dad's old bike)

Now I have a real problem... which to build.

This one.

Or my Dad's old Schwinn Wasp.

This was the bike he bought back in the 50's I believe and kept all this time. He just recently passed away and it would be a nice way to honor him.

Attachments

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I use to use it to deliver the news papers when I was a teenager. My dad bought it new in the 50's and has had it ever since. As you can see time has taken its toll on it in the way of rust. Much of the chrome is gone as well as the paint.

goog

Sep 16, 2012
Ct.
Maybe you could motorize the red one and at the same time bring back the old one to a good condition?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd go with the 50's Schwinn. For one thing it is a good, well made frame. I've done a couple of builds with a frame just like that of the same vintage. The fenders can be brought back (heavier than anything you can buy today) and you even have a rear rack. I'd be tempted to mesh parts from the two bikes to make one nice motored bike. Take the handlebars, seat, seat post and springer fork from the red bike and the superior frame, chain guard and fenders from the Wasp. That would make a nice machine.

And then there is the whole nostalgia factor. Your dad bought it new. You rode it, too. In a sense it will feel like he's kind of looking over your shoulder as you build it and with you every time you fire it up for a ride. No doubt when he was young he saw a Whizzer and wished he had one. Maybe someday you'll have a son or daughter and will pass your dad's wasp along.

Whatever you do, share the build and keep the photos coming.
SB

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I'd go with the 50's Schwinn. For one thing it is a good, well made frame. I've done a couple of builds with a frame just like that of the same vintage. The fenders can be brought back (heavier than anything you can buy today) and you even have a rear rack. I'd be tempted to mesh parts from the two bikes to make one nice motored bike. Take the handlebars, seat, seat post and springer fork from the red bike and the superior frame, chain guard and fenders from the Wasp. That would make a nice machine.

And then there is the whole nostalgia factor. Your dad bought it new. You rode it, too. In a sense it will feel like he's kind of looking over your shoulder as you build it and with you every time you fire it up for a ride. No doubt when he was young he saw a Whizzer and wished he had one. Maybe someday you'll have a son or daughter and will pass your dad's wasp along.

Whatever you do, share the build and keep the photos coming.
SB
I was thinking somewhat along these ideas, just wasn't sure if I just wanted to do a restore or go the step further and motorize it.

As far as the better frame I would have to say it is the Schwinn for sure.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Would your dad have liked a motorized bike? If so, I say honor the crap out of him!
He had a Harley Electra Glide back before I was born, but sold it because he got married and was having his first child (Me). So I think he would of like it. I think there is also a 70's or 80's Honda 125 street/trail bike in the same shed.