triple tree forks? threaded or non threaded headset?

GoldenMotor.com

Chapter7slave

May 6, 2012
California
Hi gang, I have a question about triple tree forks. They come either with a threaded or non threaded headset. Which is better and why? And where can I get a good one with disc brake tabs built in? Thanks.

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
ChoppersUS is where i got mine & i'm very happy with them... the ones i got are threadless (not sure about which is better) but these work great. also, make sure which size head tube you have (1 or 1 1/8 inch) and get the right size for the bike you're putting them on.

check out my pic albums for pics of the ones on my orange bike (Outlaw)

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I have always ran threaded ones, but a lot of the newest top of the line forks are un threaded and use a clamp... it must be good.
They do some really serious downhill stuff with them!
rc

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Thread less is all I use, more options, better stems and you can purchase 1 in or 1 1/8 forks. You will also get a disk brake mount. Let me know if you need more help.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The main difference is the stem. There's 2 types of stems. Threadless are stronger. The threaded have a weaker connection, but are still strong enough for most MBs.

For most people it comes down to whether they want to change their stem or not.

I think threaded have a little more adjustability.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The main difference is the stem. There's 2 types of stems. Threadless are stronger. The threaded have a weaker connection, but are still strong enough for most MBs.

For most people it comes down to whether they want to change their stem or not.

I think threaded have a little more adjustability.
Ummm, the main difference is the headset.......the stem is the other difference. One is not neccesarily stronger than the other, but the non-threaded tend to stay put, once tightened down. The threadless are just as adjustable, if not more so than threaded. If you want to heighten the stem (raise the handlebars) you just leave the steer tube longer and add spacers. You can also flip-flop most threadless stems for even more adjustability.

dnut

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Ummm, the main difference is the headset.......the stem is the other difference. One is not neccesarily stronger than the other, but the non-threaded tend to stay put, once tightened down. The threadless are just as adjustable, if not more so than threaded. If you want to heighten the stem (raise the handlebars) you just leave the steer tube longer and add spacers. You can also flip-flop most threadless stems for even more adjustability.

dnut
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by headset. Headset, is the bearings and races that fit between the frame and steerer tube.

Are you referring to the frame head, as the headset?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by headset. Headset, is the bearings and races that fit between the frame and steerer tube.

Are you referring to the frame head, as the headset?
The headset is the bearing and cup assembly. That is the main difference between threaded and threadless.
Threaded headset bearings are tensioned by the threaded cups on the fork.
Threadless are tensioned by the center (aka preload) bolt.

The other difference is that stems on threadless forks are mounted to the outside of the steering tube, while threaded are mounted inside.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. IMHO, I believe threadless is superior. With threaded, your whole steering assembly depends on that dang wedge bolt!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I personally only use threadless for my builds as they are usually beefier and the way headsets have evolved, not too mention much wider selection of stems.

Unless you're stuck with a vintage Schwinn or the likes with the old standard 1" threaded fork......go threadless!

dnut

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I use threaded and threadless headsets on my bikes. I prefer the threadless for mountain biking, as the handlebars stay in alignment with the forks better (they don't twist). In my opinion, the threaded headset also requires more frequent adjustment. However, the threaded headset on my motorbike has worked fine.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I use threaded and threadless headsets on my bikes. I prefer the threadless for mountain biking, as the handlebars stay in alignment with the forks better (they don't twist). In my opinion, the threaded headset also requires more frequent adjustment. However, the threaded headset on my motorbike has worked fine.
The threaded steer tube on a motorcycle also has a heavy duty lock ring, several tabbed washers and is sandwiched between the upper and lower crowns.

The threaded fork on a bicycle will eventually loosen and get sloppy no matter what. Nothin worse than a sloppy, slapping front end when the front brake is applied. In decades of bike racing and riding, I've yet to have a threadless set come loose and develop that front end slop.