fixe at walmart

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Who would buy a fixe when you can get 21 fixes in one bike? You guys are into suffering if you ever are 20 miles from home and the motor quits. To each his own and its cool.

tonyskrazykustoms

Mar 17, 2012
port orchard, WA
its funny i just so happend to find the wally deal on the fixie the other day with out even knowing about this thread lol i just thought it was a good deal and i needed a bike with the frame clearince for the engine.
so my question is do you guys have a success story with the bike? did it hold up to the engine? i only have a 10-15 mile round trip commute with mostly mellow rideing
if anything all i have left to mount is the rear sprocket i was gonna try to use the 18t sprocket that is on the flip flop hub but thought that might be a lil extreme

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
Bolt the kit sprocket to the fixie sprocket. The 18tooth will be to small. I just did a build on this bike and ride it almost every day. It works well. I did just put a dual brake lever on it to declutter the bars. Its easier to use also. Look at my albums in my profile there is a pic of the sprocket.

Last edited:

MikeB41

Mar 17, 2012
New Mexico
Ive got the Fixie from walmart and the rear sprocket is pretty easy to remove, lol just used a pipe wrench,

Last edited:

MikeB41

Mar 17, 2012
New Mexico
I just mounted my motor 1st( Loosley) then mounted the exhaust, then tried the peddeles by hand and it cleared, so i tighened the motor down, no problems

tonyskrazykustoms

Mar 17, 2012
port orchard, WA
so was your guys chain too long? it looks like i might need to remove a few links in chain. does anyone know of a quick at home way to remove a few? its late and i dont want to wait till tomarrow to go get a link remover

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Do you guys know what fixie really stands for?
I feel like the term Is used to lightly now and people forget what a true fixed gear looks or is.

My fixed gear. Think it could take a motor? brnot
I think it would do great with a motor, but where will you put your feet whilst the pedals are spinning like egg beaters? laff

Seriously though, I'm with you: if I talk about fixies I'm talking single-speed fixed-gear wheel-and-pedal-always-move-together type bikes. For some people it's not just semantics, we're trying to be specific. I try not to get too bent out of shape about it though.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I had a horrible idea for a prank: okay, so you motorize a true fixie with a two stroke. Then you get the special pedals that the biker shoes clip into. You offer a friend (victim) to let him ride the thing and let him borrow your shoes...

He'd get more exercise than a treadmill on high speed. Oh lawd, I could never do that to somebody though, at least not that I know of.

tonyskrazykustoms

Mar 17, 2012
port orchard, WA
so i noticed today while trying to get my chain to fit again that after my first ride my rear tire is bent.
would it be best to just go down to a local bike store and see if they can just make me a new stronger rear tire?
i think it bent cause i have to go over alot of speed bumps in my apartments. but i tried to go slow but the rim seems pretty weak anyways.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Well after realizing the limitations of my OCC cruiser, I decided that I would like a second MB based on a steel road bike as a good starting point for a stout performance build. I looked around on CL and found a couple I liked but they were aluminum and had some components I would end up putting aside. I really like Camlifter's idea of putting a pitbike body on the fixie, especially because it's such a tall bike and I'm only 6' tall, and it looks rad!

So I went to Walmart tonight and bought the last thruster that they had, still in the box. They're getting rare around here and I suspect that they might get discontinued since they haven't been reordered. It was a tough choice because there were so many nice bikes there and I was looking to see if any others would fit a 66cc 2 stroke, but I couldn't be sure on most of them because of weird frame shapes or tubing profiles. There were a couple of hybrids there I almost got instead, but I know this bike is a sure thing, and it will have plenty of room for the engine.

Here's what I'm planning for the overall build:

-66cc 2 stroke kit
-SBP shift kit
-Sturmey archer rear drum 5-speed hub
-front suspension fork with disc brake mounting points for disc brake
-Better cranks, levers, pedals, bars,
-new wheels if I bend them like Tony just did, and slick tires
-homemade wheel disc covers for aero
-pitbike fairings and seat, maybe supporting the seat by a suspension seatpost or some other method to reduce the vibration and shock
-windscreen
-headlight, taillight, and turn signals like my other bike
-aluminum fairings to enclose the engine supported by crash bars, maybe with some kind of gills cut and bent into them for evacuating hot air
-as much performance parts on the engine that I can afford or mod myself, probably start with a good carb, reed valve, porting, expansion chamber, and later maybe up the compression a bit and retune for a boost bottle if they actually make gains :confused:

Basically I want something where I won't be a rolling roadblock to cars on the roads with really narrow bike lanes where road bike traveling fastwouldn't be out of the ordinary, like down the hill near my house, and lots of fun and hill climbing torque with relatively light weight. I was looking at small displacement racing motorcycles and hopped up mopeds to be my next bike, but I think something like like this with a lot of tinkering potential for cheap will be way more fun and help me to get used to hauling serious ass down the big hills here. I might consider taking it to the closest motorized bike races, I think that would be a lot of fun!

This is going to be awesome, I'm looking forward to this! I stayed up late tonight and put the bike all together so I can take a ride tomorrow and evaluate it and start thinking how it'll all go together.

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
putting the pit bike body work on is an easy job and is real comppfy to ride. i used 2 half inch dia. pieces of tubing about an inch long, welded 3/8's nuts to them and then welded them to the top tube of the frame. this holds the gas tank on and every thing else bolts to it. under the seat i used a 2.5 in. wide piece of 1/8th steel plate i got from thc. drilled 4 holes in it and the plastic bottom of the seat, used drywall screw anchors in the seat to bolt the steel plate too. bolted it all to the bike then welded the plate under the seat to the bikes seat post. it's real strudy and can still be unbolted if needed.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
It's not a pure fixie, it's got a flip flop hub so one side has a fixed sprocket, the other side is a freewheel. The fixed sprocket is patterned such that you could bolt a nine bolt china girl sprocket to it for a single speed and not have to clamp the spokes. I would like gears, but hate derailleurs, so I will probably replace the hub with a Sturmey hub shifter and either fit a rear disc if possible, or get the hub with drum incorporated.

Thanks for the info Camlifter, so I'm assuming you used a pitbike gas tank, not the peanut, and then the fairings attach to that?